Disaster In Cupcakes

Baking By DoughSweetDough Updated 2 Apr 2013 , 5:35pm by AshleaT

DoughSweetDough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoughSweetDough Posted 30 Mar 2013 , 11:53pm
post #1 of 20

This is so hard to say, but I have had my first disaster. And, worse yet, on my biggest order. It was for a baby shower today across the state. I baked the cupcakes (all 8 dozen) on Tuesday, placed them in sealed plastic containers until Thursday.  On that day I did my filling, frosting and decorating of them.  They were boxed up on that day and placed in a cool room. Friday morning I delivered them to the gal in town who then drove them across state. The shower was this Saturday morning. She sent me a text this afternoon to tell me they were dry and crumbling. And she was not happy, as I can understand.

Now I have baked for many here in town and not had this happen. I almost always bake on Tuesday, wrap them as stated above, and finish up on Thursday.  Only difference is that most deliver on that Thursday or Friday.  I have never had this happen.

I am looking for input and advice from all of you out there.  I don't ever want this to happen again!

19 replies
erin2345 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erin2345 Posted 31 Mar 2013 , 12:00am
post #2 of 20

Baking on a Tuesday is way too early for a cake due on Saturday unless you plan on freezing the un-iced cakes.  What I would have done is bake on Thursday, freeze overnight, ice on Friday and deliver.  You could conceivably bake and freeze them on Tuesday and then ice, etc. on Friday.  If I was your customer I would be expecting fresh cupcakes - and most customers expect you (wrongly, but still) to bake them and decorate them the day they are picking them up.  So, to tell your customer the cupcakes were three days old by the time she got them, and then 4 days old by the party is unacceptable.  I would be unhappy as well.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 31 Mar 2013 , 1:22am
post #3 of 20

This is true,  I must say I am guilty of baking too early as well, thinking I needed the time.  Freezing after baking is the way to go if you are delivering several days later.  Don't get too upset, just remember for next time.  

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 31 Mar 2013 , 2:04am
post #4 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoughSweetDough 

Now I have baked for many here in town and not had this happen. I almost always bake on Tuesday, wrap them as stated above, and finish up on Thursday.  Only difference is that most deliver on that Thursday or Friday.  I have never had this happen.

Are you baking cupcakes usually, or cake? As far as I know, cupcakes dry out, and go stale faster than cake.

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 31 Mar 2013 , 2:32am
post #5 of 20

So sorry to hear about your order.  I have never had success freezing cupcakes and then frosting them.  Seems the paper cups want to come loose from the cake due to moisture. Not sure what to suggest for the future for you.  Hopefully, someone else may have a suggestion.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 31 Mar 2013 , 2:44am
post #6 of 20

AYeah, sorry, but you just cant bake and hold cupcakes. You can bake, freeze then finish or complete them and freeze them.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 31 Mar 2013 , 3:16am
post #7 of 20

Poor customer. icon_sad.gif

There are many threads here on freezing cupcakes. You should check them out.

DoughSweetDough Posted 31 Mar 2013 , 3:49am
post #8 of 20

I bake cupcakes and cookies from scratch.

erin2345 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erin2345 Posted 31 Mar 2013 , 3:56am
post #9 of 20

It is still 'from scratch' if you freeze after baking.  I would do a test run if I were you - bake and freeze some cupcakes and the bake and hold them your normal way.  Then eat them and see what tastes better and fresher - it is going to be the ones you froze.

Osgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Osgirl Posted 31 Mar 2013 , 5:03am
post #10 of 20

You definitely want to freeze them next time. If I don't freeze cupcakes, I make them the day before and no sooner than that. Tuesday to Saturday would definitely mean a crumbly and old cupcake. Freezing cupcakes is very easy. I've done it a few times and had no problems. I don't freeze them decorated.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 31 Mar 2013 , 5:42pm
post #11 of 20

A

Original message sent by DoughSweetDough

I bake cupcakes and cookies from scratch.

Yes, me too.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 31 Mar 2013 , 5:52pm
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakingangel 

So sorry to hear about your order.  I have never had success freezing cupcakes and then frosting them.  Seems the paper cups want to come loose from the cake due to moisture...

me too--or at least inconsistently enough--sometimes loose sometimes fine-- that i never would count on being able to rely on a freezing method

but i freeze all my cakes

and some shops i've worked in froze them like rocks

and maybe therein lies the answer--the way a home freezer cycles itself as opposed to the commercial ones ;)

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 31 Mar 2013 , 6:44pm
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakingangel 

So sorry to hear about your order.  I have never had success freezing cupcakes and then frosting them.  Seems the paper cups want to come loose from the cake due to moisture. Not sure what to suggest for the future for you.  Hopefully, someone else may have a suggestion.

I have the same bad luck freezing them, I've tried all kinds of liners and freezing 'methods', and every time about at least 50% of the wrappers start pulling away.

Cupcakes are quick though, I don't see any reason to be bake them so far ahead of time. Personally, I would have baked Thursday evening and filled/frosted on Friday morning before delivery.

You can make your frosting/fillings ahead of time, 8 dozen cupcakes should only take about 2.5 hours, maybe 3 depending on your recipe, from the time you take your ingredients out til the time you're taking your last batch out of the oven. (Assuming you are baking 2 dozen at a time in a typical home oven.)

Filling and frosting, max a minute per cupcake, so an hour and a half. Or if you are on the slower side still with decorating, or if they were complicated, bake Thursday afternoon and decorate in the evening.

I always fill/frost the morning of delivery though, it ensures they are fresh as can be, even if it means getting up at 4am.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 31 Mar 2013 , 7:30pm
post #14 of 20

how were they boxed though?

the boxes should be wrapped like a mummy encased in plastic for the most protection possible but of course with baking/freezing properly in the first place

and this is a case in time when if the icing isn't covering the whole top you really risk them staling out

just some ideas for next time ;)

Lfredden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lfredden Posted 31 Mar 2013 , 7:57pm
post #15 of 20

I agree with scrumdiddlycakes (I like that name).  Cupcakes don't require too much time.  I once baked 250 cupcakes on a Friday evening then frosted the next morning.  What I do to save time is mix my dry ingredients ahead of time and put the mix in a ziplock bag (one batch in each bag).  I also pre-crack the eggs and put them in plastic containers.  So when baking time comes, the batter comes together quickly.  I also have 6 cupcake pans, so while one set of two is in the oven, another set is cooling and another set is getting filled with batter.  Once I get in the groove, it all goes rather quickly.  If I remember correctly it took about 4.5 hrs.

DoughSweetDough Posted 31 Mar 2013 , 10:05pm
post #16 of 20

Thank you for this info.  I certainly have learned a lot from posting here and am so glad I did.

Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 3:12am
post #17 of 20

Honestly, you owe your client a full refund.  Baking on Tuesday for a Saturday baby shower and not freezing the cupcakes at all...will leave you with very dry, very old tasting cupcakes.

Cupcakes are quick and easy,  I always bake my cupcakes the night before.

CasperCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CasperCakeCreations Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 3:36am
post #18 of 20

This same thing happened to me...I gave the customer a full refund for 5 dozen cupcakes! Lesson learned the hard way; however the customer was satisfied with the solution and didn't post negative comments on my Social Media site.  I now do as others said...cupcakes are baked the day before they are picked up. 

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 1:10pm
post #19 of 20

Yep if you have a lot of pans you can really crank out some cupcakes.  My friend and I did 500 for a charity event.  It took us about 3 hours in her home oven.  I always use my freezer when I bake, and that goes for scratch or box cakes and cupcakes.  As long as they are wrapped well you shouldn't have a problem.

AshleaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AshleaT Posted 2 Apr 2013 , 5:35pm
post #20 of 20

I have heard the problem with cupcakes is that they are not sealed in like most cakes and that is why to loose their moisture very quickly. I usually do my cupcakes 1 day before due and refrigerate. I have been in business for 3 years and haven't had a complaint yet (fingers crossed, lol). I also have seen this theory proved in another in town business that I vistied. Their display cases were not refrigerated and therefore the cupcakes that I was sampling from them were indeed very dry.

www.ashleascakes.com

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%