How Do I Sculpt A Wizard Hat

Decorating By sixinarow Updated 31 Mar 2013 , 8:15pm by sixinarow

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 30 Mar 2013 , 10:33pm
post #1 of 3

I'm making a 3-tiered Fantasia cake and want to make the top tier Mickey Mouses' wizard hat from the mop and water segment of the show. I have not a clue how to start to sculpt this hat. I make a lot of tiered cakes but usually do my sculpting with modeling chocolate or gum paste. I have never done a sculpted cake of any kind! I think this tier will take about 4 6" round cakes that I'll stack and shape. Do I fill the cake between the layers before I cut or do I cut first for a dry fit and fill after? Do I mark the center of the top cake and cut down from there? It'll be covered in marshmallow fondant in the end.

Any help would be much appreciated! :)

Thank you

Shannon

2 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 31 Mar 2013 , 2:21pm
post #2 of 3

you do have clues how to do this even though you say you don't ;)

if you are not using a filling that requires a dam you can sculpt after you fill

other wise yes sculpt dry then dam & fill -- (unless you can eyeball where to dam & cut in the first place)

so yes you definitely want to have the dam in place if using a filling that requires it

the top of the hat-- i almost think i'd use rice krispie treat or use cake but cover it first with fondant to hold the point then put the final covering on it

maybe it will hold fine with just being covered --but keep those ideas in mind if you have troubles

and i'd also suggest to cover it frozen or at least well well well chilled

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 31 Mar 2013 , 8:15pm
post #3 of 3

Great thinking! The tippy top of the hat was my biggest concern, I was afraid it would collapse under the weight of the fondant. I'll take your advice and do the top of the hat in rice krispie treats -- save myself some aggravation from the start!! :)

Thank you so much for the advice!

Shannon

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%