For Those Who Custom Cut Their Cake Boards In Wood

Decorating By pmarks0 Updated 31 Mar 2013 , 11:52pm by pmarks0

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 1:22pm
post #1 of 8

What type of wood do you use?  I have a life size guitar cake due next weekend.  I'm using foamcore for the board under the cake, but I need to get a board cut at Home Depot for the whole cake to sit on.  Recommendations?  I was thinking 1/2" plywood, but I don't know.

Thanks!

7 replies
savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 2:22pm
post #2 of 8

AJessicakes did a perfect one. You can google her she's really gracious about answering questions.

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 9:46pm
post #3 of 8

AI typically will use 1/2" plywood. Sometimes, I'll use 1/4", but only for smaller cakes. Definitely go 1/2" for your guitar. I did a guitar a few months ago, and there was too much flex through the neck of the guitar with 1/4". I had to layer another board under it to fully stabilize it.

pmarks0 Posted 31 Mar 2013 , 12:08am
post #4 of 8

Thanks for the advice!

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 31 Mar 2013 , 12:49am
post #5 of 8

I use 1/2" particle board because it is easier to cut with a jigsaw in all directions - it doesn't have a grain, and it doesn't have splintery edges.  1/2" has been plenty strong enough for all my cakes so far, and gives a nice edge for a ribbon.  

pmarks0 Posted 31 Mar 2013 , 12:51am
post #6 of 8

Thanks!

Dumb question, but I can get that at Home Depot?

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 31 Mar 2013 , 12:57am
post #7 of 8

If you need it to be Light, cut the board out of half inch foamcore.  If you need a heavier board I would recommend MDF.  Yes, you can get it at Home Depot.  You can cut it into a guitar shape with a jig saw and MDF doesn't splinter.

pmarks0 Posted 31 Mar 2013 , 11:52pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks. :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%