How Difficult It Is To Say No To A Relative's Request For A Cake????

Business By mkoteel Updated 22 May 2013 , 4:00am by cakeyouverymuch

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 8:32pm
post #31 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoteel 

Lol... Good to know. I was curious. But what if you are really busy and can't take it up. What do u do then?

If you are busy then you are busy. 

Your family would have to reserve their cake ahead of time just like the paying customers even if you do give it to them for free.

So you can see that there are two separate issues: discount, and timing. 

NOBODY can invent extra time...least of all family.  If they have not reserved a cake ahead of time then they cannot expect one even if they wanted to pay you double...right?

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 27 Mar 2013 , 2:02am
post #32 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar 

I don't know, I think that most of the time we women overthink this kind of thing. I'm with Jason on this one, just say you can't do it and cut through all the "what will they think of me" nonsense. Personally, I wouldn't say "I'd like to but..." Because some people will take that as an invitation to badger you further!

"I'd like to, but..."  is a business tactic. Nothing wrong with appearing to be positive.

cakecoachonline Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecoachonline Posted 27 Mar 2013 , 7:30am
post #33 of 45

You know what the problem around pricing is.    Because we enjoy making the creations so much, then there is this guilt thing going on.  Running the belief of, I cannot charge properly if I have enjoyed myself so much.  Work is supposed to be a drudge, something that you leave the house for and do with grim determination and look forward to holidays.   A lot of people feel seriously uncomfortable in billing relatives or otherwise, for something they have actually enjoyed doing, something that they jump out of bed in the morning, actually looking forward to.   If we can change our mindset and feel comfortable and OK with charging the correct price for a job well done, regardless of whether we enjoyed it, so feel guilty and drop the price, then a lot of these relatives requests would stop, whilst they clear off to Costco to get a cake to feed 30 people for £15!   Rant over....:) Kx 

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 27 Mar 2013 , 10:48am
post #34 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix 

"I'd like to, but..."  is a business tactic. Nothing wrong with appearing to be positive.

Sure,but the topic is freeloaders who want free cake, so that isn't businessicon_rolleyes.gif

MimiFix Posted 27 Mar 2013 , 6:43pm
post #35 of 45
Quote:

Sure,but the topic is freeloaders who want free cake, so that isn't businessicon_rolleyes.gif

Yes, dear, I know we're talking about family freeloaders, and the topic is not about business. But it's nice to be nice. At least I think it still is. All these forums (and social media in general) have been changing the rules. thumbs_up.gif 

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 27 Mar 2013 , 6:59pm
post #36 of 45

A

Original message sent by cakecoachonline

I think just using lack of time as an 'excuse' is the kindest way.  I lost count of the times friends asked - could you just knock me up a cake - expecting it clearly for either zero money or cost of ingredients only.    Or the silliest one is - offering a cake as a birthday present.   Then spending ten hours of your life creating the thing.  Everyone else turns up with a £20 gift - but your is worth 8 - 10 x that!   The thing is this - we have 24 hours in the day, given to each and every one of us.  We have to choose how we spend our time.  It is irreplaceable, we need to value it.   Just because we have a skill that the relatives value, we need to value it ourselves too.  Even if you charge and gift the income to charity - I still think you should charge!

And then they sit there with their $100 in gift cards, and their free cake... Way back when I was a broke, divorced mom of 3, I would be resentful they didn't at least offer a gift card or two, after all the work I pulled off for them, for $20, but now I just say no!

costumeczar Posted 27 Mar 2013 , 8:48pm
post #37 of 45
Quote:

Yes, dear, I know we're talking about family freeloaders, and the topic is not about business. But it's nice to be nice. At least I think it still is. All these forums (and social media in general) have been changing the rules. thumbs_up.gif 

Well, calling me "dear" comes off a little snarky, little thumbs-up emote aside. And of course it's nice to be nice, but with relatives who assume that you will make them free merchandise it's generally a better policy to be direct and just say no if you don't want to do it.

MimiFix Posted 27 Mar 2013 , 8:59pm
post #38 of 45
Quote:

Well, calling me "dear" comes off a little snarky, little thumbs-up emote aside. And of course it's nice to be nice, but with relatives who assume that you will make them free merchandise it's generally a better policy to be direct and just say no if you don't want to do it.

Sorry, I'm probably old enough to be your grandmother. And maybe too old to participate in these forums. My apologies, I meant nothing mean or nasty. 

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 27 Mar 2013 , 9:00pm
post #39 of 45

Here's my solution:

I have a group of people whom I consistently invite for dinner for all major holidays (Christmas, Easter etc).  Not all of them are family, and some family are conspicuously not invited (because I don't do drama).  Those invitees are the people for whom I will always make cakes on their birthdays, and sometimes for their other special occasions like weddings etc.  I will also make cakes, if they ask, for their children/grandchildren's birthdays (and ONLY their birthdays).  Except for my sister who works for child services--she will sometimes ask for a cake for one of her wee clients--in that case she will give me a topic and a flavor and I have free reign to do as I will (the Lego cake in my photos was one of those).  None of them has ever asked me to go outside those boundaries, and anyone outside those boundaries who asks for a cake is treated as a customer, some of whom get deep discounts and others who pay full price.  People who cross certain boundaries deserve to be treated as customers, because actual friends don't take advantage of friends.

costumeczar Posted 27 Mar 2013 , 11:27pm
post #40 of 45
Quote:

Sorry, I'm probably old enough to be your grandmother. And maybe too old to participate in these forums. My apologies, I meant nothing mean or nasty. 

I doubt that you're old enough to be my grandmother, she would have been 94 this year!

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 21 May 2013 , 11:08pm
post #41 of 45

I had a family member who wanted to order a cake from me but every conversation and every email contained references to "the family discount". I finally told him that it was apparent he was expecting a very inexpensive price and being that I am not a huge company able to buy at a bulk discount I just could not offer pricing in the range I was sure he was expecting. I told him he should probably go ahead and go to Walmart for his cake but thanks for thinking of me. He went elsewhere and I don't have to think stabbity thoughts at him at every family gathering.

No gets easier every time you say it!

costumeczar Posted 21 May 2013 , 11:20pm
post #42 of 45

I'd say, "Unless you're my mama, my grandma or my kid, there is no such thing as a family discount."

anavillatoro1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anavillatoro1 Posted 22 May 2013 , 12:05am
post #43 of 45

AIt's very difficult, I only bake for fun so I am bake cakes for my family birthday party's but it get out of control sun everybody in my husband family wanted a cake, I don't sell cakes so I been forced to open a facebook page for my cakes and lie and say that I am so busy making cakes for client's that is my dirty secret :D

costumeczar Posted 22 May 2013 , 1:13am
post #44 of 45

A

Original message sent by anavillatoro1

It's very difficult, I only bake for fun so I am bake cakes for my family birthday party's but it get out of control sun everybody in my husband family wanted a cake, I don't sell cakes so I been forced to open a facebook page for my cakes and lie and say that I am so busy making cakes for client's that is my dirty secret :D

That's the funniest thing I've heard in a long time!

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 22 May 2013 , 4:00am
post #45 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franluvsfrosting 

I had a family member who wanted to order a cake from me but every conversation and every email contained references to "the family discount". I finally told him that it was apparent he was expecting a very inexpensive price and being that I am not a huge company able to buy at a bulk discount I just could not offer pricing in the range I was sure he was expecting. I told him he should probably go ahead and go to Walmart for his cake but thanks for thinking of me. He went elsewhere and I don't have to think stabbity thoughts at him at every family gathering.

No gets easier every time you say it!

"Stabbity thoughts". . . . I love it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%