Problem With Bulging!

Decorating By vogt51 Updated 22 Mar 2013 , 5:01pm by Bluehue

vogt51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vogt51 Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 4:02pm
post #1 of 5

I've looked through some threads about this and so far I haven't really found an answer.

I have noticed that my cakes are bulging on the sides where the layers are put together. Most of my cakes don't have filling, so it's not the filling coming out. I do put a layer of buttercream between each layer of cake so I assume it's the buttercream layer coming out. But why? My cakes are not frozen or really cold when I put them together, so it's not a settling issue right? When I put a layer of cake on another one, I push it down a little and the buttercream oozes out a little from between them and then I scrape that off before I move on.

I notice it happening more after I move the cake.

It's so disappointing to go through all the work just to have it ruined by the bulge! Please help!

4 replies
manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 4:06pm
post #2 of 5

AWhatever you put between the layers is filling... I.e. buttercream is your filling. This topic has been covered extensively. Check out the thread titled, "smooth finish."

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 4:22pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by vogt51 

I've looked through some threads about this and so far I haven't really found an answer.

Really !!!- i thought there were epics written about this very subject icon_surprised.gif

I have noticed that my cakes are bulging on the sides where the layers are put together. Most of my cakes don't have filling, so it's not the filling coming out. I do put a layer of buttercream between each layer of cake so I assume it's the buttercream layer coming out.

Hmmm, sorry, but isn't a layer of Buttercream a *filling* in between each layer of cake?

But why?  My cakes are not frozen or really cold when I put them together so it's not a settling issue right?  Yes, thats exactely what it is vogt51. When I put a layer of cake on another one, I push it down a little and the buttercream oozes out a little from between them and then I scrape that off before I move on.

There is your problem right there - you *move on* too quickly - thus not allowing your *filled* cake to settle.

After you have filled your cake - you must let it set up or settle as some call it.... otherwise any air pockets that have formed wont be able to escape - and then when you *move on* to your next stage of decorating the cake - and add any extra weight to the cake - your going to get air pockets....

I notice it happening more after I move the cake.

Yes, thats to be expected.... everytime you move the cake - the filling and layers of cake will also move - and again, the air is going to try and escape...

It's so disappointing to go through all the work just to have it ruined by the bulge!

Slow down your filling and decorating process.... dont rush it.

If you want a cake to look smooth - buldge free - then there are a few easy steps to follow.

Fill the layers of your cake.

When done - place a sheet of baking paper on top of the cake

Place a large heavy bread board on top of the cake and then a hevy large book.

This will ensure that all the excess air is pushed out ...plus you will get a smooth flat top to your cake.

6 years ago i went and bought some out of stock large tiles from a bathroom shop - for about 3.00

I have varying sizes - depending on what size cake i am filling.

I place one of them on top of my cakes - and allow the cake to settle at least for 5 hours - if it's mud cakes i am working on - i leave them to settle overnight.

Many here is Australia have been using heavy tiles for years.... they are easy to store - easy to clean - and for the size of them, the weight is just right.

Please help! Hope i have - again, its a step by step procedure - not a slap it on and move on procedure.

Bluehue

vogt51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vogt51 Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 4:43pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you. I guess I just wasn't really understanding so I did not think the other threads applied to my problem. Obviously wrong there! I appreciate you taking the time to explain it to me so that I understand. :)

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 5:01pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by vogt51 

Thank you. I guess I just wasn't really understanding so I did not think the other threads applied to my problem. Obviously wrong there! I appreciate you taking the time to explain it to me so that I understand. :)

You are welcome vogt51 - glad i could help.

There is always someone here on CC who can answer any questions you have.

Bluehue :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%