Macaron Filling Suggestions

Decorating By adamsgama Updated 29 Mar 2013 , 11:59pm by pquinene

adamsgama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamsgama Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 12:20pm
post #1 of 8

I am making macarons in pastel colors for Easter. I have used chocolate ganache in the past to 'sandwich' two together. What else can you use, buttercream, royal?

Thanks Adamsgama

7 replies
Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 2:28pm
post #2 of 8

Thickened whipped cream with either fresh or frozen berries mixed through.

If using fresh -

Wash - hull - sprinkle with a little white sugar - then gentle mash with the back of a fork and place in a strainer  so as to allow excess juice to drain out..

After about an hour - gentley fold through the whipped cream - OR white chocolate ganache.

I have used (on different occassions) Blueberries, strawberries and blackberries.

The blackberries give a gorgeous lilac colour to the whipped cream. Just start with a few at a time... until you get the colour you want.

Google green tea fillings - rather tasty and something different.

Not near my recipe at the moment. - sorry

Whipped cream - white ganache or buttercream with a few drops of lavender essence - then add a few fresh (well washed and dried) fresh lavender petals stirred through.

Looks stunning.

Well ground pistachio's stirred through either white ganache or buttercream.

If you can - find the blanched pistachio's as they are greener.

You can also add them to the actual macaron batter...

Looks very impressive :)

Lemon curd - OR lemon curd mixed with a little whipped cream or white chocolate ganache.

These are just a few that i have used....

Hope this helps a little.

The *pastel* effect can be obtained by just adding a few or a little of the above suggestions so as to compliment your pastel macarons.

Bluehue.

adamsgama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamsgama Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 5:35pm
post #3 of 8

Thank you, these sound ummy. How long will they keep with whipped cream filling and do they start to get soggy?

Thank you

sweet treat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet treat Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 8:39pm
post #4 of 8

AYou can also use lemon curd for the yellow ones.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 8:59pm
post #5 of 8

flavored bc works well.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 10:28pm
post #6 of 8

fruit curds, flavoured butter cream, white chocolate ganache, maybe caramel?

I wouldn't do royal icing though, you want a soft filling.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 7:06am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsgama 

Thank you, these sound ummy. How long will they keep with whipped cream filling and do they start to get soggy?

Thank you

I make my fillings the day before and keep in the fridg... But anything made with fresh cream will keep up to the date on the carton or bottle.

Lolll - always look for cream with the longest expiry date when buying at the supermarket... icon_wink.gif

Then pipe the fillings the day of the event they are to be served.

If using fresh whipped cream - you keep filled macarons in a container in the fridg - until ready to serve.

Hmmmm, they aren't going to be any more soggy that ones filled with a ganache... imo.

Bluehue

pquinene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pquinene Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 11:59pm
post #8 of 8

I make a not-so-sweet velvet cake frosting then add homemade jam or maple syrup. Beat 8 ounces of cream cheese with 4 tbsp. of unsalted butter (both softened), and 2 tbsp. of sifted powdered sugar. I add 1/4 cup of homemade jam or 2 tbsp. of maple syrup to the cream cheese mixture. I find this soft filling matures the macarons in less than 12 hours. The maple syrup-flavored filling does the job in even less time. I have also found that if I keep the cream cheese-filled macs in the fridge for more than 2 days, they lose their soft-and-chewy texture; they become soft-and-creamy. By the way, if you fill your macs with cream cheese fillings at night, they are soft and chewy when you wake up the next morn! EXCELLENT FOR BREAKFAST :-)

My husband and my kids LOVE the cream cheese flavors compared to lemon curd, strawberry jam, and even chocolate ganache. One of my faves is mixing freshly grated coconut into the Dove dark chocolate ganache.

The picture below shows the creaminess of a mac (green one with white filling) that has soaked up plenty of moisture from the filling; delish, but soft and creamy. The purple macs were still soft and chewy, even more yummy. The green mac with the pistachio nut paste filling took too long to mature; I'll have to add more simple syrup or liquor next time.

Hope this helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%