Cake Decorating Job!!

Business By RoccoDana Updated 21 Mar 2013 , 1:52pm by -K8memphis

RoccoDana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RoccoDana Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 2:13am
post #1 of 6

AI have a interview for a cake decorating job. This is my first interview in this business. The job ad listed to be proficient with fondant, which I am. However I am still nervous. They told me to show up and prepare to work with cake. What do they mean by that? What will they have me do? If I have to decorate a cake what kind should I do?

5 replies
nikki4199 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki4199 Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 2:32am
post #2 of 6

They will proabaly have you decorate a basic cake.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 2:37am
post #3 of 6

Not sure, but good luck!  

disastrophe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
disastrophe Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 5:12am
post #4 of 6

I'm sure it's different from shop to shop, but when I had to do something like this for a temporary internship position, they had two already baked cakes and a bowl of their buttercream made and had me torte, fill, and ice both and put a simple shell border on one and then cover the other with fondant.

They sliced both and checked my layers to see that they were even and checked the shell border to see how consistent the piping was and then checked the fondant to see how even that was all around and how thin I could roll it and how clean the covering was.  They didn't have me decorate anything during the interview, so they were just trying to find whether I had foundations down or not. 

Anyhow, not sure if that helps or not.  Regardless, good luck and hope it goes well!

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 1:13pm
post #5 of 6

"Working Interviews" are very common for bakery jobs.  As the others said, they will most likely have a couple of naked cakes.  They will either ask you to perform specific tasks or just let you have at it and decorate your own.  Good luck to you!!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 1:52pm
post #6 of 6

good luck--let us know how it goes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%