Royal Icing Turned Black!! Help!!!!,

Decorating By singhramos Updated 22 Mar 2013 , 11:58pm by singhramos

singhramos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
singhramos Posted 17 Mar 2013 , 11:21pm
post #1 of 8

Hi I tried to make Royal Icing with egg whites, while I was beating the eggs whites it turned black, can someone tell me why did this happened? I tried with both eggs separating the yolks and pasteurized egg whites and had the same results.

Thank you.

7 replies
IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 17 Mar 2013 , 11:29pm
post #2 of 8

AIt could be your mixer bowl or beater. I was making a custard one time, and the whisk I used in the saucepan reacted for whatever reason and u had black streaks in my custard. Maybe your parts are rubbing too close and sort of grinding, or it's a chemical reaction.

singhramos Posted 17 Mar 2013 , 11:40pm
post #3 of 8

If this is the case is there anyway to avoid this?  Just purchased a new kitchen aid and when I used the paddle attachment for the first time and washed it I noice that it was all black and my hands and black streaks on them, I was able to wash it very clean. :(( 

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 17 Mar 2013 , 11:45pm
post #4 of 8

AIs your mixer a tilt head? If it is, tilt the head back. There is a flathead screw under the head of the mixer (in the hinge part). That adjusts the height of your attachments. Turn it a bit at a time to adjust, put the head down into the bowl to check the level of te attachment.

dlkessler67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dlkessler67 Posted 17 Mar 2013 , 11:54pm
post #5 of 8

AThat happened to me too. I adjusted the mixer bowl.

savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 17 Mar 2013 , 11:58pm
post #6 of 8

I believe it's the aluminum attachments which make those gray streaks.  I noticed that I used to get black on my hands if one ever ended up in the dishwasher...I wash all by hand but am going to look into getting some the enamel or plastic coated attachments. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Mar 2013 , 12:21am
post #7 of 8

in one or the other ka i got it says to never put the attachments in the dishwasher--i also only handwash

singhramos Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 11:58pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you all for your help, after reading my manual I realized that I should had not put my paddle in the dishwasher, since I had just purchased my Kitchen aid I was able to get a free replacement.icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%