Looking For A Good Quality Cocoa Powder Please Help!

Baking By monosylabicgirl Updated 7 Mar 2013 , 5:21am by lorieleann

monosylabicgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monosylabicgirl Posted 6 Mar 2013 , 3:47pm
post #1 of 5

AI don't like Hershey's or garadelli cocoa powders and I found excellent reviews on callebaut chocolate. I know its 100% cocoa powder but I don't like dark chocolate. Does anyone know if it does have that dark chocolate flavor.. I'm looking for a good cocoa powder for cupcakes and cakes. Any suggestions?

4 replies
rjcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rjcakes Posted 6 Mar 2013 , 6:25pm
post #2 of 5

I'm using Cacao Barry cocoa powder at the moment which is a dutch processed and it does make my chocolate cakes and cupcakes a very dark brown - almost black. If you don't like this then you probably want to stay away from the dutched cocoas, those are much darker. The non-dutched are a little redder in color. (they also are related to using baking soda or baking powder and aren't interchangeable)

You can check out cocoa powders at kingarthur.com, pastrychef.com or penzeys.com. Hope this helps!

RJ

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 6 Mar 2013 , 9:35pm
post #3 of 5

Real cocoa powder will have that dark chocolate taste by definition.  It is just the roasted cocoa bean, ground and pressed to get the extra fat off.  Dutch process just makes it easier to mix with milk etc for drinking.

So if you don't like that strong chocolate taste, use Nestles Quik drink mix powder instead of any brand of 100% cocoa...the extra sugar and other stuff dilutes out the taste that you don't like.  Use the same volume as the 100% cocoa in the recipe, you will have a milk chocolate result in the cake and icing.

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 6 Mar 2013 , 10:08pm
post #4 of 5

I'm fond of Valrhona.  It's Dutch processed.

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 7 Mar 2013 , 5:21am
post #5 of 5

I use Valrhona. It is dark and wonderful. My go-to chocoalte cake is an oil based cake, though i have found that butter chocolate cakes seem to use less cocoa and are therefore lighter in chocolate flavor. 

Another cocoa that I also like is the E. Guittard Cocoa Rouge (King Arthur used to sell this as their own brand, but they sourced it from Guittard) . I used to mix in a bit of black cocoa to darken it up, so maybe straight up it would suit you.  

another nice brand if you are looking for natural is scharffen berger. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%