Please Help, I Am A Hoarder!

Lounge By peppercorns Updated 11 Mar 2013 , 11:47pm by plcharles

peppercorns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peppercorns Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 6:54pm
post #1 of 51

Toys, books, magazines, videos all about cake decorating are strewn all over my " cave" Cutters everywhere, some of which I don't know what they are for, after tidying up my cave I found a lot of duplicates, even duplicate magazines, but that's not even the problemicon_redface.gif, after so many trial and error in baking, I finally learned how to bake moist and scrumptious cakes, but I have to stop because my husbands' ever growing girth! Buttttt, I discovered fruit cakes! You can bake them ahead of time, and you donot have to eat them, right away.. Guess what, I have  ten of them in various sizes, all aging in different  stages. Annnnnndddd now I have to bake fruit cake again! What is wrong with me, I hesitate to give them to my neighbors after the sawdust cakes and tack cookies, when I offer them baked goods, they start looking green! I am in serious trouble,I am weird or had become a " fruit cake" myself?icon_surprised.gif

50 replies
Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 7:23pm
post #2 of 51

Welcome to the club! I have more cake crap than I know what to do with! My bakery is 18 x 20 feet, and is filled, there is no where to go but up! Good thing I have 12' ceilings ;-D

When I make a $400 cake, $100 of it goes to supplies and overhead, $50 to the bank, and I get another $250 worth of crap!

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 8:35pm
post #3 of 51

Hello, my name is Deborahanne and I am a cakaholic.  My addiction began with viewing this program:

storymaker-buddys-sketchbook-season-1-pictures3-515x363-1.jpg

At which point I said 'I can do better'  and this cake was born:

The body of the bunny was a peanut butter cake, the head and legs were peanut butter RKT.  The ears were pastillage and the tulip and the bunny's eyes and nose were gumpaste.  I had a real problem keeping the ears upright.  Next time I'll start earlier and give them more time to dry.  I used a vanilla seven minute frosting to cover the whole and give the impression of fur.

So, you see, it was all Buddy Vlastro's fault.  And my family are all enablers (especially my DH who buys me every cake tool he can find), and so are my neighbors, and so is this website, so really its none of it my fault. . . . d'you think maybe I'm not ready to try quitting?

Annabakescakes Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 8:51pm
post #4 of 51

Wow, Deborahanne, is it okay if I tell you that bunny cake you did is even creepier than Buddy's? I'm scared!  But the rest of your cakes are WAY better than Buddy's ugly rabbit!

And dittos on the DH being an enabler! I will want to buy something and wait to talk it over with him, and he will always say yes! He can justify any purchase I dare to make, even better than I can! He even comes in the bakery and helps me clean up my messes. Last week I rearranged the bakery and when I did last weekend's cakes, I cleaned up as I went, so there is next to nothing to do today, which is normally my cleaning day. He told me that it was seriously hot, and a total turn-on that I kept the bakery clean, lmao!

cakeyouverymuch Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 9:13pm
post #5 of 51

Anna, I understand your feelings about the bunny.  The photos of it before the frosting went on are even worse!  I've since sworn off life size pets done in cake (ditto baby bumps and baby butts).  Buddy's bunny creeped me out because even though it was easter, the crucified rabbit pose was just too creepy.  

Thank you for your kind compliments,  and I'm jealous of your buttercream skills.  I just don't have the steady hand required to get mine that smooth, or maybe its my buttercream recipe. lol  My first and greatest love is fondant and I love sculpting with RCT.

Annabakescakes Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 9:49pm
post #6 of 51

Yeah, I refuse to do body parts, baby butts, baby bumps, boobs, penises, the whole lot of them! I don't do pet cakes, or any sort of crucifixion! ugh!

And the secret to perfect buttercream is a bench scraper, and a turn table ;-) I use a bash and chop, I think it may be from Progressive, or they have one similar. And I use a cheap $15 turn table!

tdovewings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdovewings Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 10:14pm
post #7 of 51

Ooooohhh! I know how you feel! A couple of years ago, I made a similar cry for help, check this forum post out http://cakecentral.com/t/728404/how-do-i-stop-buying-cake-decorating-stuff

As you can see from the replies, most of us are in the same boat.

You have to find another audience...I joined a meetup.com group for stay at home moms just to find more test subjects...hahahaha...in my evil cake mad scientist voice. 

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 10:35pm
post #8 of 51

Funny that you posted this today. I was just organizing my cake stuff (pulling boxes out of hall closets, the backs of drawers, random shelves ...) and thinking, where the heck am I gonna keep all this stuff?! I keep buying because I guess I'll need it someday, and what's also funny is my bofriend keeps buying me stuff and justifying the purchases too! I am so glad I am officially in business now, so whatever money I make can pay for either new stuff, or more storage!

cakeyouverymuch Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 10:40pm
post #9 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

Yeah, I refuse to do body parts, baby butts, baby bumps, boobs, penises, the whole lot of them! I don't do pet cakes, or any sort of crucifixion! ugh!

And the secret to perfect buttercream is a bench scraper, and a turn table ;-) I use a bash and chop, I think it may be from Progressive, or they have one similar. And I use a cheap $15 turn table!

I agree on the body parts and the pets.  I suspect that in addition to the bench scraper and turntable one also needs a good dose of the right kind of patience to acheive impeccable buttercream.  I can (and have) spent hours building up intricate fondant designs (the swan with flowers in my photos took so many hours I lost count), but when faced with buttercream I just want to slap it on and get down to the details.

GixxerChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GixxerChick Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 11:08pm
post #10 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeyouverymuch 

I agree on the body parts and the pets.  I suspect that in addition to the bench scraper and turntable one also needs a good dose of the right kind of patience to acheive impeccable buttercream.  I can (and have) spent hours building up intricate fondant designs (the swan with flowers in my photos took so many hours I lost count), but when faced with buttercream I just want to slap it on and get down to the details.

Try having ADD with a side of OCD....I can spend HOURS getting a perfectly smooth buttercream surface!  Not sure if I'm smoothing for a solid Hour, or if it's because I get so distracted along the way?  Hmmm?.........

Now...what was I saying??

peppercorns Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 12:46am
post #11 of 51

Wow, so I'm not alone! Whew, that's a relief, well, I did bake another fruit cake ( I keep a stash of fruits soaked in rum and brandy) and not even a small one this one is a whoopericon_twisted.gif . I don't know what to do I will  be out of the country in two weeks, anyone wants to come over my house and feed all these fruit cakes?  Such obsession, you are right maybe I have acquired OCD after the first day of Wilton's Cake Class! icon_mad.gif It's JoAnns  fault! That's it I donot want to accept responsibility for what I have become!icon_evil.gif

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 1:43am
post #12 of 51

I bought a rolling set of drawers on Saturday for my cake stuff, it was huge and I thought it was a bit ridiculous to buy something so big, until I got it home and filled it to the brim, with stuff left over. 

My husband is an enabler too, cue the brand new KA I picked up at Costco today. And the pasta maker I got yesterday, after he watched the Jessicakes Craftsy class with me on Saturday. 

I also have a freezer filled with baked, unfilled cakes with the excuse that they're for emergencies. When I come across a new recipe I want to try I bake it up and then throw it in there. Its kind of handy when I get the urge to do some decorating, just pull a couple out and I'm done. 

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 2:40am
post #13 of 51

Michaels fuels this hoarding.  The cake decorating section is HUGE.  I walk into that store and it tells me to "buy stuff and decorate a cake."  Just like years ago, Michaels told me to buy beads and make bracelets and buy paper and scrapbook....

cakeyouverymuch Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 2:49am
post #14 of 51

Michael's and Bulk Barn.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 3:52am
post #15 of 51

Luckily the Michaels and Joann near me are both pretty small when it comes to the cake sections, and it's at least an hour to the nearest cake supply store. 

Annabakescakes Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 4:10am
post #16 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norasmom 

Michaels fuels this hoarding.  The cake decorating section is HUGE.  I walk into that store and it tells me to "buy stuff and decorate a cake."  Just like years ago, Michaels told me to buy beads and make bracelets and buy paper and scrapbook....

If you think that Michaels cake aisle is huge, you should try shopping at The Site That Must Not Be Named. I live about 30 miles from it, and get most of my little fancy supplies from there, and it is the size of most Dollar Stores, or small retail stores, but the ENTIRE store is cake and cookie and candy supplies! I grab a buggy and head down the rolling pin, spatula, food coloring, airbrush, and pre-colored bucket of icing and fondant aisle, with the turn tables at the end, then double back in the cupcake container, wrappers, liners aisle, then head down the jimmies, sugar pearl, dec-ons, dragees, cookie cutter aisle......I don't ever get out of that store without spending over $100, even if I just go to get a special cutter, or luster dust (which is in a rotating display, with little buckets hanging off of it, and little bins in the middle, easily 75 colors of pearl, luster and petal dust, probably more!)

There is a Christmas, Valentine's Wedding, and Halloween aisle year round, and a section of Easter, Mardi Gras, St. Patrick's day, Independence Day, and Thanksgiving. Then there are vintage Wilton pans on the wall, dozens of cake dummies, hundreds of chocolate molds, hundreds of pounds of chocolates, hundreds of LorAnn, Silver cloud and other flavorings, every pillar and plate system you can shake a stick at, and hundreds of cake pans from Fat Daddios to Magic Line, to Williams Sonoma and in-between.

Then cake boards, drums, fanci foil, Masonite boards, cake dummies, cake boxes and specialty tapes. Candy boxes and pads, and baggies and foils and twist ties and ribbons...OH MY! lol

And a whole section for gum paste cutters and molds and specialty rolling pins, texture mats, formers, and veiners and wires, with speial cabinet of high priced, hard to find items in a locked glass case. And cake toppers, too!

SWOON!

And it that's not enough for you, you can use your phone for a google search with their site name in it for whatever you are looking for, and if it's not out front, give them the order number for it, and they will call someone from the HUGE WAREHOUSE connected to the back of the building, and someone will get it for you ;-) Actually, what I do is shop their website from my couch, add it to my cart, print it, bring it up there and hand it to them, and them fill my cart with other nonsense while they collect what is on my list, and they help me take it all out to my car! Can you tell I shop there often? And I LOVE IT???

t4507.gif

Annabakescakes Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 4:13am
post #17 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by GixxerChick 

Try having ADD with a side of OCD....I can spend HOURS getting a perfectly smooth buttercream surface!  Not sure if I'm smoothing for a solid Hour, or if it's because I get so distracted along the way?  Hmmm?.........

You too, huh? lol! I will also spend an hour getting the perfect shade of pink, using at least 3 different brands, and 5 bottles, drop by drop!

Annabakescakes Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 4:18am
post #18 of 51
Quote:

Oh! And I will pop over to my computer at 12 am to get another look at the inspiration cake, or the name for the cake, and wind up checking my email, then CC, and then head over to my favorite "bad news" site and check out the daily mug-shots, read the stories, and comments, and make one of my own.... THen it's off to check my email again! Next thing I know, it's 2 am...

peppercorns Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 6:47am
post #19 of 51

Hi Norasmom, aghhhhhh, alright I have to confess, I hoarded paper craft, scissors, books, scrapbooks,  jewelry making, beads etc. I even bought a sewing machine, I cannot sew anything, oh wait  I'm finishing the dog bed I started in 2011, maybe tomorrow. Huh!icon_twisted.gif, what is it? I donot think it is OCD, I think I am mentally ill, that's it, this cake decorating and baking  frenzy is a front!icon_cry.gif

peppercorns Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 6:52am
post #20 of 51

Hi Annabakescakes, YOU TOO? Oh my, this is definitely  getting more and more addictive, I am doing the same thing, I can't help it, I just have to check CC and the forumsicon_twisted.gif.

peppercorns Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 6:57am
post #21 of 51

Annabakescakes, WHERE IS THIS SHOP?

GixxerChick Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 12:20pm
post #22 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

Oh! And I will pop over to my computer at 12 am to get another look at the inspiration cake, or the name for the cake, and wind up checking my email, then CC, and then head over to my favorite "bad news" site and check out the daily mug-shots, read the stories, and comments, and make one of my own.... THen it's off to check my email again! Next thing I know, it's 2 am...

OMG!  That sounds JUST like me!!! I'll get on the computer to look for "inspiration" for the latest cake I'm doing...next thing you know, half the day is gone!  I typically end up staying up all night long the night before a cake is due, finishing all my final touches.  Thank God for Red Bull!!   ...And I'm like that with nearly everything, but mostly with cleaning...if one little thing distracts me....  Boy is my tip drawer a mess...oh look how dirty that coupler is...damn this sink needs to be scrubbed...oh and there's a spot on the cupboard.....look how clean it looks when you wipe it down...I wonder how it would look if I wiped them ALL down.....ooops I spilled the sugar.....Now, where's that broom.......and now the mop......These dish towels need to be washed....I should start a load of laundry......

And all of that because I wanted to organize my tip drawer!!

peppercorns Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 11:02pm
post #23 of 51

I did a partial inventory of my cake stuff, I couldn't believe what I have found so far, four angled spatulas,three cupcake holders, two turntables plus a lazy Susan, two cake holders, four drawers of cutters, six pairs of scissors, three flower drying racks, three boxes of dishes, three sets of pots and pans, three food Warner's, three sandwich makers plus a waffler for what? I had never made a waffle, three  12 inch copper bowls  bought from one of my travels, a copper pot not used even once, a few stacks of wooden molds, I don't what know what they are for, biscuits? Butter mold? Four egg holders, one turkey deep fryer still in the box? WHY?  What's this, does this happen to everyone who starts baking cakes as a hobby?icon_surprised.gif

GixxerChick Posted 6 Mar 2013 , 4:48pm
post #24 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorns 

I did a partial inventory of my cake stuff, I couldn't believe what I have found so far, four angled spatulas,three cupcake holders, two turntables plus a lazy Susan, two cake holders, four drawers of cutters, six pairs of scissors, three flower drying racks, three boxes of dishes, three sets of pots and pans, three food Warner's, three sandwich makers plus a waffler for what? I had never made a waffle, three  12 inch copper bowls  bought from one of my travels, a copper pot not used even once, a few stacks of wooden molds, I don't what know what they are for, biscuits? Butter mold? Four egg holders, one turkey deep fryer still in the box? WHY?  What's this, does this happen to everyone who starts baking cakes as a hobby?icon_surprised.gif

.....and a partridge in a pare treeeeeeeeeeee!!

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 6 Mar 2013 , 6:06pm
post #25 of 51
Quote:

Why do you buy things in three's? icon_biggrin.gif Or do you just forget you had them already?!

Annabakescakes Posted 6 Mar 2013 , 6:31pm
post #26 of 51
Quote:

.....and a partridge in a pare treeeeeeeeeeee!!

LMAO!!!

I need to start a thread that just has my addiction on it, you all would be horrified!

Annabakescakes Posted 6 Mar 2013 , 6:34pm
post #27 of 51
Quote:

Annabakescakes, WHERE IS THIS SHOP?

I could tell, you but then I would have to kill you ;-) Actually, if I tell you it will look like ********** or [banned]! I will say it is in Hamilton, Ohio.

peppercorns Posted 6 Mar 2013 , 10:13pm
post #28 of 51

Hello Annabakescakes, he,he,heicon_twisted.gif, oh yeah I noticed the threes too, no, I donot think I forget, my hoarding has gone too far that When I cannot find what I need, rather than digging, it's far more easier to ran to the store and get another one. But.... I think I am cured a little bit now bec  I am totally hopeless with fondant, and so I worked more on piping, you don't need a lot of  toys, but duplicate tips too! And  a lot of sugar and eggs and lemon, say anyone knows where I can get eggs with whites only?icon_rolleyes.gif, I really donot like to venture in baking leche  plan. I am quite stuck with fruit cakes.

Annabakescakes Posted 6 Mar 2013 , 10:31pm
post #29 of 51

I have multiple cookie cutters! I think I have about 5 of the Wilton Christmas stars, because I had to buy them to get the others...I had to get about 3-4 of the candy canes too. And I have so many Wilton character pans I have doubles. I am working on cataloging my items with a phone app.

peppercorns Posted 6 Mar 2013 , 10:39pm
post #30 of 51

Oh Annabakescakes , do tell, I find the forums to be entertaining!icon_razz.gif  I encourage everyone to come out and tell, be it chocolate addiction, forum,collecting toys,gourmet cooking, etc. what do you think?  Lets set aside part of our day to have a giggle, somehow it lightens the day a bit.thumbs_up.gif Oh yeah I want to share this newspaper clipping from my town: Little Nancy was in the garden filling up a big hole with dirt.The neighbor, Mr.Wilson, peered over the fence and said, " Hello there Nancy, what are you doing?" " My goldfish died" replied Nancy, tearfully without looking up." I've just buried him." Mr Wilson smiled indulgently and said " My goodness, that's an awfully big hole for a goldfish." nancy patted down the last heap of dirt, then replied " That's because he's inside your cat."icon_twisted.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%