Favorite Cookie Icing / Frosting

Baking By Roxy073087 Updated 18 Feb 2016 , 10:36pm by MBalaska

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 20 Aug 2013 , 9:44am
post #31 of 42

any ideas on why people are using Food Dehydrators to dry their cookie/icing with?  I use a regular fan.  Does the icing dry smoother or shinier with a FD?

MBalaska Posted 20 Aug 2013 , 7:39pm
post #32 of 42

Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarkissed_net 

This is the recipe for my favorite royal icing. I love it because it doesn't dry rock hard but is still stiff enough for detailed decorating, stacking, and packaging. Plus it's yummy!

sugarkissed_net: Thanks for the brilliant Soft Royal Icing recipe !!

Having no art skills I use the stencils a lot.  This recipe was easier to use as it didn't crust up immediately after coming out of the icing tip.  It made a smoother cookie top without an ugly outline, (mine's still not perfect - just much better) It tasted better than regular RI, and it had a tiny bit of a gloss, It was firm to the bite- not rock hard............I'm shocked.

SOFT Royal Icing, WOW, I didn't believe it could be anything but rock hard. It is firm, smooth, easy to work on top of, yet has a non-crunchy bite. Ok so my outline isn't perfect, but it's better.  My hand embroidery isn't neat, but the stencil is superb!

(Ok Ok... no laughing at my attempt to do brush embroidery (I keep seeing seagulls in clouds there)  I'll stick to stencils.) icon_rolleyes.gif

colmcb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
colmcb Posted 20 Aug 2013 , 7:47pm
post #33 of 42

You are all such a wealth of information and have no idea how inspired I am by all of you. I just had to share that.

I feel like such a big fat beginner right now and get so incredibly frustrated at times. Then I come on here and read and it inspires me all over again. One of these days hopefully I will be good enough to be posting on here and helping others rather than just lurking in the background trying to learn and asking the occasional question! 

Thank you all so much for your creativity and your willingness to share and help the rest of us. icon_smile.gif

MBalaska Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 10:41pm
post #34 of 42

I discovered an unexpected side consequence in using the Soft Royal Icing.

I took the practice cookies to my folks to munch on.  Mom wouldn't shove the cookie in her mouth, like me & Dad.  She broke off pieces of the cookie, so she could delicately put a small piece in her mouth. I watched in surprise as the icing flaked off, so to speak as the cookie was broken.

The top part, hardened & crusted, popped off in small bits - while the soft inside icing stayed on the cookie.  The cookies were under a fan drying for 24 hours prior.

Probably something that I did incorrectly.   I actually think that I can live with this, as most people just eat the darned cookie.

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 22 Aug 2013 , 6:52am
post #35 of 42

I love the look of royal icing but don't like the hard texture or the flavor.  I found replacing the water with a combo of half and half and lemon juice yields a firm to the touch icing that is still soft enough to bite through with a delicious tangy flavor. 

MBalaska Posted 22 Aug 2013 , 6:56pm
post #36 of 42

PastryBagLady:  Very cute!  you seem to have mastered the icing like GeminiRJ has. I'm envious of your nice cookie decorating skills.icon_smile.gif  Keep up the great work folks, love the pictures.

Pastrybaglady Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 9:40pm
post #37 of 42

Thanks MBalaska :)  Mastered, no... always trying, yes :D

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 11:15pm
post #38 of 42

AMy to do list for the weekend is to test different icings and drying methods. I hate how my cookies dry so dull and hard with Antonia's recipe, and I really don't like the taste. Don't know if it's the cream of tartar or what, but ewwww. Need something better.

Pastrybaglady Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 11:28pm
post #39 of 42

A

Original message sent by BrandisBaked

My to do list for the weekend is to test different icings and drying methods. I hate how my cookies dry so dull and hard with Antonia's recipe, and I really don't like the taste. Don't know if it's the cream of tartar or what, but ewwww. Need something better.

Please post your results! I'd love to know a better faster method of drying :)

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 11:32pm
post #40 of 42

AAbsolutely!

Cinnabear14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cinnabear14 Posted 18 Feb 2016 , 7:47pm
post #41 of 42

I LOVE this recipe!!! I found it after I searched on how to make a softer, yet stackable RI. So happy to come upon this recipe. It is now my go-to RI recipe!!! Thank you!!!

MBalaska Posted 18 Feb 2016 , 10:36pm
post #42 of 42

First choice - favorite for flavor is still @GeminiRJ corn syrup glaze. 

Found a recipe this week that has become my second favorite, both for 2nd in flavor, workability, firmness and pipeability.

www.sweetsugarbelle.com/2010/12/meet-meaghan/   I've made two batches of it this week and simply love it.  It doesn't get crunchy, crackly, hard like regular royal icing, but gets firm enough after drying 12 hours that it does not get dented like a delicious corn syrup glaze does.   There are things are still better with royal like stand up piped flowers.

But I found this to be a nice medium between the basic corn syrup glaze and basic meringue powder royal icing.  It's nice to have such a variety of icing mediums to work with.  Different icings for different types of decorations.

powdered sugar

meringue powder

water

flavoring

corn syrup

Crisco (white vegetable fat)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%