I Can't Help But Be Really Irritated By This...

Lounge By GixxerChick Updated 6 Mar 2013 , 12:56am by jason_kraft

GixxerChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GixxerChick Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 1:00pm
post #91 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaZ2013 

I'm surprised I haven't come across "I've never baked a cake before but I'm making my own wedding cake and it's for this weekend, can you tell me the best recipe to use and where you buy the tins and how do I get that colourful icing and the cakes all stacked real pretty like, because it's just a cake so it can't be too hard and I don't want to pay someone to make it"

lol  Keep watching and reading...you will...

ChanelFreyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChanelFreyer Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 1:16pm
post #92 of 184

Ah but then it would be stoopid:)

LovelyCakes4Us Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LovelyCakes4Us Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 1:32pm
post #93 of 184

A

Original message sent by BrandisBaked

To Jason (because quoting from my phone is too hard) - and only because you asked: I have seen you ask several questions that weren't relevant to actually providing a response. Someone will post that they have a cake order and need help with their recipe or advice on stacking, and you respond asking their legal status.

I haven't read the whole thread but wanted to say this is true, how ever I wouldn't know half of the stuff I do now with out Jason's remarks.. Half the time it pisses me off when its totally out of subject but then I sit and think about it and he is correct :).

GixxerChick Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 2:23pm
post #94 of 184

For whatever reason, I seem to be at my *****iest first thing in the morning.  Must be the lack of caffeine so early.  Nonetheless, I'm sooo tempted to post something really super sarcastic...

**Disclaimer: The information in this and all of my posts is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and occasionally is for entertainment purposes only.  I’m one of several members who answer questions on this site. I usually handle questions about motorcycle racing, motorcycle repair and on occasion, cake decorating, so in those areas I’m more likely to make sense and less likely to say something stupid. If I post something here that you find helpful as you build or manage your decorating abilities, that’s wonderful. But when push comes to shove: This is my personal opinion. The views expressed in these posts are mine alone and not those of CC.
…In addition, my thoughts and opinions change from time to time…I consider this a necessary consequence of having an open mind. This posting is intended to provide a semi-permanent point in time snapshot and manifestation of the various memes running around my brain, and as such any thoughts and opinions expressed within my posts may not be the same, or even similar, to those I may hold at this very moment. Just in case… If I say something stupid in the future, it’s better to be able to point out that the stupidity is mine, and mine alone.  Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the reply section of each entry, but I reserve the right to ignore any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous) – so keep it polite, please.

This is my opinion. That fact means nothing. It is not a peer-reviewed journal, a final archive of my writing, a sponsored publication, or the product of gatekeeping and editing. That does mean something…it means that while the ideas and thoughts are often vital and the product of a long gestational period, the writing itself is not. It is essentially as it came from the keyboard: spontaneous, unproofed, unrevised, and corrected afterward only when necessary to address mistakes that grossly affect the intent.

It would be distinctly unwise – not to mention uncharitable – to play connect-the-dots with my “life of the mind,” as scanty as it might be. My attitude, my reaction to ideas (good or bad), the length and tone of my discussion, the intensity and duration of my lovemaking, the time it took for me to return your email, and the quality and quantity of my response to you in any medium are probably not tied to anything you read here… at least not in a way that you will be able to confidently assume without sharing years of psychotherapy and the bills that come with it.

That being said, proceed with caution…**

Subject:  911* IMMEDIATE HELP NEEDED!!! *911

I've completed week #1 of Wilton's Course 1.  Tonight we learned what a pastry bag is and how to fill one with that buttercream stuff. My best friend is getting married this weekend and I promised to do her 7 tier wedding cake.  Each tier is to be a different flavor and the whole thing needs to feed 1500 people!! Give me all of your very best ever recipes in every flavor you have, right now!!!  Including a recipe for the best ever buttercream!!  How do I make sure the cake will feed enough people?  I have 2 cake pans...both are 8" rounds.  Do I need those cardboard circle things to go in between??  Or should I be using those tall plastic stick-like thingys in between the tiers?  Her colors are a Cyprus Verdun Cerulean type mix...how do I get that color in buttercream?...in Fondant??  Oh yeah, she wants 4 of the 7 tiers done in fondant and the whole cake covered in gumpaste flowers.  I'm not sure what gumpaste is.  Specifically, she wants gerbera daisies, spider mums, roses and cymbidium orchids, so I need some kind of tutorial with really detailed step by step pictures cuz I've never made any flowers before.  She also wants a (to scale) replica of the Eiffel Tower for the top of the cake made from modeling chocolate and pulled sugar.  What's modeling chocolate... and how do I "pull" sugar?  Do I have to buy it or can I make it from scratch??  I also need you to tell me how much I should charge for this cake!!!  Is $25 enough??

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 2:53pm
post #95 of 184

I'm so upset.  Please help me.  I did the surgery and it didn't come out the same as the picture.  The organs were put back in the wrong place and the color was off.  Now the family wants their money back and they are damaging my reputation.  I only charged them for my scalpel since I am not an experienced surgeon, I want to keep that scalpel for future projects.  Should I give them their money back?

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 3:14pm
post #96 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norasmom 

I'm so upset.  Please help me.  I did the surgery and it didn't come out the same as the picture.  The organs were put back in the wrong place and the color was off.  Now the family wants their money back and they are damaging my reputation.  I only charged them for my scalpel since I am not an experienced surgeon, I want to keep that scalpel for future projects.  Should I give them their money back?

I don't know, but my patient stopped breathing, is that a bad sign? icon_surprised.gif

crustdust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crustdust Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 3:21pm
post #97 of 184

AThe scary thing is, I started to realize cakes and dog breeding (I co own a Golden Retriever and Pointer kennel) is very similar. Just when you think you have seen it all - BAM! Another crazy one pops up

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 3:24pm
post #98 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeyouverymuch 

I don't know, but my patient stopped breathing, is that a bad sign? icon_surprised.gif

c'mon man whadda yah thinking

we gotta tell you everything?l

poke him with the dang scalpel

that's what it's for!!

SystemMod1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SystemMod1 Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 3:50pm
post #99 of 184

Just a quick "thank you" to some of you for not taking this thread too far off into the weeds.

virago Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
virago Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 4:32pm
post #100 of 184

GixxerChick Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 4:33pm
post #101 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by SystemMod1 

Just a quick "thank you" to some of you for not taking this thread too far off into the weeds.

thumbs_up.gif

cakeyouverymuch Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 4:41pm
post #102 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by virago 

Maybe I need to check the regulations in my area, get a plan together, do a little (or alot of) research, before I commit myself to doing surgery for money.  As it is, it appears I don't know my azz from my elbow in the operating room.  Its a good thing I have caking to fall back on.  NOW, who's gonna send me their BEST recipe so I can get this show on the road!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 4:45pm
post #103 of 184

icon_lol.gif

GixxerChick Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 4:48pm
post #104 of 184
Quote:

Maybe I need to check the regulations in my area, get a plan together, do a little (or alot of) research, before I commit myself to doing surgery for money.  As it is, it appears I don't know my azz from my elbow in the operating room.  Its a good thing I have caking to fall back on.  NOW, who's gonna send me their BEST recipe so I can get this show on the road!

I'm really gettin' a kick outta all these posts!  LOL  Glad we can manage to take this in the direction of humor and light-hearted sarcasm. 

Jimmyca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jimmyca Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 5:45pm
post #105 of 184

I have to agree with you! I think it's bad business to take on a project if you have no idea how to execute it.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 6:07pm
post #106 of 184

You people performing surgery,

Are you licensed?

Are you charging for your services?

Have you gone to business school?

Have you become a tax accountant?

Has your surgery room/dining room table been inspected?

Are you following the regulations of your state, county, and city?

Have you gathered experience from doing simpler surgeries, e.g., removing fingers or toes or doing face lifts?

Do you know how to use Google to get the instructions you need?

Do you make the patient pay in full before the event?

Do you have a return policy?

Do you have liability insurance?

icon_biggrin.gif

virago Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
virago Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 6:19pm
post #107 of 184

^^^

is this really 'shanter'...or 'jason_kraft' in disguise!!!  icon_razz.gif

tdovewings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdovewings Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 6:44pm
post #108 of 184

This is the best entertainment I've had in a while! I wish I was as witty as you guys. LMAO for the last few days. I keep checking back about every 30 minutes for some  more fun. 

HobbyCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HobbyCaker Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 7:01pm
post #109 of 184

surgeon emoticon msn   Take two cupcakes and call me in the morning....

I agree with tdovewings, this has been a very entertaining thread, fun and light.  Couple cuts, but nothing requiring stitches.  

Koccy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Koccy Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 7:52pm
post #110 of 184

Totally entertained by your comments! icon_biggrin.gif

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 9:26pm
post #111 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinmauk2 

I can't modify my last post; let me clarify. One wedding cake has to be someone's first wedding cake. Every baker has a first wedding cake. They can start with birthday cakes, etc, but those aren't wedding cakes, you get?

No, imo one's first "wedding" cake should NOT be for an actual wedding.  Use dummies and do a practice cake, do a small tiered cake for a family occasion, etc.  And I learned this the hard way. 

I got into cakes because my sister remembered a birthday cake I had  made her years before that I had managed to teach myself to pipe roses for, and decided I could make her wedding cake to save her money.  I said no, but she begged & begged and I finally gave in and was able to get the Wilton classes in before the wedding.  I studied all about construction so at least I got that part right, but made several other rookie errors, like trying a new icing recipe, misjudging how much icing i needed, and waiting until the day before the wedding to start.  I got the cake baked and iced and basic decorations, but ran out of time for all the flowers. 

I never even thought of doing another wedding cake until I had LOTS of practice on smaller cakes, then 2-tired cakes, then a small 3 tiered cake & two 3-tired dummy cakes, and had my time-management down.  It was probably 3 or 4 years after that first one before i did another actual wedding cake, which went perfectly because I had had tons of practice by then and knew what I was doing and how to manage my time.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 9:50pm
post #112 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by virago 

^^^

is this really 'shanter'...or 'jason_kraft' in disguise!!!  icon_razz.gif

I had this funny feeling come over me and I just started typing with no conscious thought about what I was saying (of course, this is not the first time that's happened!!!). I must have been channeling Jason.

icon_biggrin.gif

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 10:02pm
post #113 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanter 

I had this funny feeling come over me and I just started typing with no conscious thought about what I was saying (of course, this is not the first time that's happened!!!). I must have been channeling Jason.

icon_biggrin.gif

Did your eyes roll back in your head, eyelids fluttering, and did you feel the urge to crush the dreams of every up and coming cake artist with red tape, government regulation, and high entrance costs? :-)

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 10:41pm
post #114 of 184

OMG Anna! You make me laugh so often, it's not even funny.

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 10:42pm
post #115 of 184

Wait. It is funny.

cakeyouverymuch Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 10:43pm
post #116 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmPamCakes 

Wait. It is funny.

MUST be funny, you be laughin'.

GixxerChick Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 10:49pm
post #117 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobbyCaker 

surgeon emoticon msn   Take two cupcakes and call me in the morning....

I agree with tdovewings, this has been a very entertaining thread, fun and light.  Couple cuts, but nothing requiring stitches.  

Oh Good, cause I'm not so sure we have a qualified giver of stitches!  Ah, what the hell, I can use a needle and thread...that should qualify me right?

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 10:54pm
post #118 of 184

A

Original message sent by shanter

I couldn't have been prouder of your post.

Except it's not really necessary to know how to use Google before the surgery, as long as you cover the open wound with some plastic wrap you should have plenty of time to brush up on your searching skills if you have questions during the procedure.

:twisted:

cakeyouverymuch Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 10:57pm
post #119 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by GixxerChick 

Oh Good, cause I'm not so sure we have a qualified giver of stitches!  Ah, what the hell, I can use a needle and thread...that should qualify me right?

Can you do a blanket stich?  Then we're good to go! 

GixxerChick Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 11:00pm
post #120 of 184
Quote:

Can you do a blanket stich?  Then we're good to go! 

No, but I can post on the forum and ask for someone to tell me how to do it!!!  Good as gold!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%