Wedding Cupcakes

Baking By TheBakeryBoutique Updated 15 Feb 2013 , 7:46pm by leah_s

TheBakeryBoutique Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBakeryBoutique Posted 12 Feb 2013 , 3:44pm
post #1 of 14

A[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/2920168/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Hello colleagues! I need advice please! A bride has contacted me about having cupcakes instead of cake for her wedding, I have not make wedding cupcakes before and I'm worried about under/over pricing them. She wants the one on top to the left, with the gumpaste rose etc. how do you think I should price them, like a regular bday cupcake ? Or shoul I increment the price cause is a wedding? Thanks in advance for your help , I appreciate it!

13 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 12 Feb 2013 , 3:55pm
post #2 of 14

AThe price should reflect your cost. The examples you've shown are more labor-intensive than a regular cupcake so they should be priced accordingly.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Feb 2013 , 4:10pm
post #3 of 14

There are at least 4 gp flowers, plus dragees plus the cupcake.  I'd be at $5 - $6 each.  My regular cupcake with a swirl is $3.  But tha'ts me and my costs. 

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 12 Feb 2013 , 4:30pm
post #4 of 14

Correct me if I'm wrong but that rose looks like modelling chocolate (a bit more tastier than GP).  Not sure how that would change labor and pricing.

TheBakeryBoutique Posted 12 Feb 2013 , 5:20pm
post #5 of 14

AThanks guys! You've been very helpful ")

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 12 Feb 2013 , 6:26pm
post #6 of 14

AAlso, please remember that people tend to eat more cupcakes for some reason....especially if she requests more than one flavor. A just serving suggestions accordingly.

Always kills me when brides think cupcakes or buffet will be cheaper! Really? The more options the more people will take more than one piece!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 12 Feb 2013 , 6:51pm
post #7 of 14

WOW! You know, I am a lazy baker. I just wouldn't want to touch making hundreds of those roses...No matter the compensation. I get bored easily and like to switch up what I am doing, too, so those would take me 3 months, lol. 

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 12 Feb 2013 , 6:55pm
post #8 of 14

Oh, oops! My small roses are $4 each, and I would add that to the cupcake cost, and another $1 to put the smaller flowers and dragees on... You'd be looking at  $7 each, here.

I would suggest balancing out the cost by using some "filler" cupcakes with the smaller flowers only, and dragees only. Those would be $2- $3 each. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Feb 2013 , 6:56pm
post #9 of 14

not that you asked, op, but you could adorn the cupcake stand with a smattering of roses and still get the same effect for bridelette

who probably has no idea of how much this amps up the price--to have one on every cake i mean

and maybe suggest ribbon roses which are slightly less complicated of course

and roses can be piped on to a great effect too

like you didn't know already--just cake chatting ;)

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 12 Feb 2013 , 8:30pm
post #10 of 14

Someone has probably told the bride that cupcakes are a cheaper option,  I charge more per cupcake than I do for serve of a tiered cake . They are more work. I usually give a price for both and let them decide , ( I hate doing cupcakes so charge accordingly ) I rarely have to do them and when I do I am paid well for the trouble/ 

TheBakeryBoutique Posted 13 Feb 2013 , 3:25am
post #11 of 14

Thanks so much to all!

The rose is GP, and she wants the big rose in almost all of them.,

I agree, is mor work do the cupckaes thatn the actual cake, and for some reason, people think are cheaper...

Well, I'll get to work, thanks again!! ")

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Feb 2013 , 3:12pm
post #12 of 14

also--one other thing

i think the decor including flowers on a cupcake should be edible or clearly discernible as not edible

it's a one serving cakelette and it would be awkward to send out the message--oh don't eat the flower/s

or people could eat it but it's not really pleasant eating

you pull everything off and there's this mangled piece of food left for me to enjoy

i don't know--it seems a little unfoodlike or unbecoming to wedding guests a bit

it seems edible but yes/no maybe/maybe not

you could but why would you--most won't some will

some will like it some will wonder why they ate it--why they put it on there

to me the cake is a reflection of the bride and this reflects some confusion

to me it punctures the bridal ambiance balloon

random thought--just chatting

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 14 Feb 2013 , 5:04pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

\

I would suggest balancing out the cost by using some "filler" cupcakes with the smaller flowers only, and dragees only. Those would be $2- $3 each. 

That's a good idea.

I will say that cupcakes are cheaper in one regard : you don't have to pay the caterer a slicing fee. 

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Feb 2013 , 7:46pm
post #14 of 14

APS. BUY the GP roses, esp when we're talking about this many.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%