Can I Coat An Edible Diamond So It Doesn't Melt?

Decorating By doramoreno62 Updated 9 Feb 2013 , 11:07pm by Margaret393

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 9:48am
post #1 of 6

I use Pastry Pride non dairy whipped topping and I have bad feeling that if I add the diamonds directly on to the frosting they will melt due to the moisture of the whipped cream. Any ideas on what I could use to coat the back of the stone?

5 replies
Margaret393 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Margaret393 Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 12:06pm
post #2 of 6

Hi doramore62

If you have made the diamonds from gumpaste - you could coat the back of them with some FAT i.e. crisco, to keep the moisture out. However this may not stop the stones from sinking into the whipped cream - which  depends on their weight.

To get around this, you could insert 26" florestry wire through the base of each stone   - apply a little glue to the tip of the wire, and push through base of stone (about two thirds the way in)  and  leave to dry.

Cut some straws into appropriate lenghts and the plug base with some fondant. Insert stones into prepared straws and position on finished cake - so that they are just above the level of the whipped cream.

Note: if the stones are very heavy use a stronger wire i.e 20" - 24"

As I have made quite a few sugar flowers, thought that using the wires in the stones might be a solution! though I haven't done this myself yet. However you could try it on some cupcakes first. Good luck!

Hope this helps!

Margaret393 

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 6:39pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you Margaret393. The stones are made from sugar. They are clear, I bought them online. But you did give me and idea to cover the backs with a little buttercream. That are not heavy at all so sinking will not be an issue.  I will try this and cross my fingers that it works. Thank you!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 10:31pm
post #4 of 6

AThe buttercream can melt bettercreme as well. I have seen it turn it to soup. Perhaps chocolate?

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 10:33pm
post #5 of 6

ACan't coating with white coloring power, and a touch of black, to give it a bit of depth, like the coating on fake diamonds.

Margaret393 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Margaret393 Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 11:07pm
post #6 of 6

Hi Doromoreno62

In an earlier post - I mentioned FAT i.e.crisco, not buttercream to coat the base of the stones. I agree with Annabakescakes suggestion using chocolate - like crisco chocolate has a high fat content.

Regards

Margaret393

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%