Am I Being Scammed??

Business By abchambers Updated 12 Feb 2013 , 4:06am by peppercorns

abchambers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abchambers Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 5:10pm
post #1 of 14

I received this email last night:

Hello
        Good day am Mary George  i have a private party schedule  i will like to place an order  do you have cupcakes butter cream or vanila flavor also do you accept credit card as payment  so if you have cupcakes i will be needing this information
How much will 500 cupcakes will cost me ......
your address for the private carrier coming for the pickup ..............
  and actually, i will like you to email me detail asap  i will be waiting for the reply.
Thanks
best regards

Something about this email screams non-legit...the broken english, the "private carrier" and not leaving any other contact info. I've seen discussions on here about the scam where they request info for a huge cake with all these wild flavors and often times they need it for an event that is hours away. This kind of seems to be along the same lines, but not exactly.

Also, I'm more of a "hobby baker" and a majority of my customers are friends/family or "friends of friends". If I don't personally know them, they usually either tell me how they found me or whichever friend of mine gives out my name, they give me a heads up. I've never heard of this lady...which I know its possible she randomly found me.

Does this seem fishy, or is it just me?

13 replies
karina_lisa2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karina_lisa2010 Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 5:13pm
post #2 of 14

I saw this posted in another thread... looks like a scam to me

heysugar504 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heysugar504 Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 5:18pm
post #3 of 14

Yep.

AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 5:28pm
post #4 of 14

I've recieved that exact one and several other similar ones.  Scam, run the other way screaming!

abchambers Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 5:35pm
post #5 of 14

Thanks! I sent an emailing back asking where/when her event was and how she found me...I have yet to receive one back, but now I know to ignore. And to be quite honest, I don't think I have the capacity or time to bake and decorate 500 cupcakes anyway :-/

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 7:55pm
post #6 of 14

Oh my, don't *DON'T* ever reply to something like this!  Now they know your e-mail is 'good' and you will be flooded by more as it is passed on to others who do such scamming :(

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 8:10pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi 

Oh my, don't *DON'T* ever reply to something like this!  Now they know your e-mail is 'good' and you will be flooded by more as it is passed on to others who do such scamming :(

Make up a fake gmail account, copy and paste it (they have no clue who they really emailed), and have fun messing with them. icon_twisted.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 9:36pm
post #8 of 14

Total scam. I dedicate a page on my blog to these idiots and I enjoy messing with them.

dkltll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dkltll Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 9:38pm
post #9 of 14

RUN!!!!! I also enjoy reading the responses our very own "costumeczar" posts back to them. Check out her blog, it is hilarious!!!! http://acaketorememberva.blogspot.com/p/fun-with-email-scammers.html

Haha I was posting at the same time. LOL

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 9:54pm
post #10 of 14

I just remembered tht I had a couple more to answer. 

FYI, I use a fake email account, but the idea that they'll know your email is live if you answer them so you'll get more is iffy. If the email address is all over your website like it is on mine they know it's live already. My concern would be if they got mad at being messed with and hacked my website, so I respond anonymously from a fake account.

abchambers Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 3:33am
post #11 of 14

OMG that blog is cracking me up!! Aaah, I should have none not to reply....her reply to mine was something to the effect of "i live in your town and got your number off google searching cupcake sellers" (all of course in broken english). BAH, wish these scumbags would just disappear!

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 8:10am
post #12 of 14

costumeczar I will need you to send me your credit card details to pay for my recent troubles.  I laughed so hard that my hernia burst.  When the ambulance guys arrived they thought the tears streaming down my face were from pain and so shot me full of morphine, which is an added cost. By the time I reached the hospital I was so high that they thought I was a drug addict and called the police and had me locked up. When I tried to explain to the judge, I thought about those replies again and couldn't stop laughing so they locked me up in an asylum.  In a world where no one wants to take responsibility for their own actions I am expecting you to live up to yours and pay me, otherwise I will consider suing.  Please email the details to................................

Rosiepan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosiepan Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 11:08am
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazza1 

costumeczar I will need you to send me your credit card details to pay for my recent troubles.  I laughed so hard that my hernia burst.  When the ambulance guys arrived they thought the tears streaming down my face were from pain and so shot me full of morphine, which is an added cost. By the time I reached the hospital I was so high that they thought I was a drug addict and called the police and had me locked up. When I tried to explain to the judge, I thought about those replies again and couldn't stop laughing so they locked me up in an asylum.  In a world where no one wants to take responsibility for their own actions I am expecting you to live up to yours and pay me, otherwise I will consider suing.  Please email the details to................................

LOL, LOL,

LIke button please

peppercorns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peppercorns Posted 12 Feb 2013 , 4:06am
post #14 of 14

Wow! Rosiepan, that is very funny! reminds me of the days I worked as an ED nurse.thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%