Using Fondant

Decorating By micaelagasper1 Updated 8 Feb 2013 , 4:50am by pookmyster

micaelagasper1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
micaelagasper1 Posted 7 Feb 2013 , 11:59pm
post #1 of 3

i'm a brand new baker and want to make birthday cakes (from box mixes, i'm not a genius). is there a certain type/brand of fondant i need to be using? and i saw that i should put a layer of butter cream under the fondant....what's that? 

please help and thanks :)

Mic

2 replies
Ginger08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ginger08 Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 12:49am
post #2 of 3

When I first started, I only used the Wilton fondant, because I didn't know any better. But by starting with this stiff brand I got a feel for what fondant was suppose to do and how to manipulate it. I now make my own marshmallow fondant, and have just started today mixing that with modeling chocolate even to cover cakes...so amazing!  You want to frost your cake with a layer of something, be it buttercream or other type of frosting, so the fondant has something to stick to, and if you have darker cake it wont show through the fondant if its white. Good luck and have fun!!

pookmyster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pookmyster Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 4:38am
post #3 of 3

AIf you buy the fondant purchase Fondx brand if not available get satin ice. Fondx taste delicious. Go to www.bakersbodega.com and order they have the best price or go to the store if there is one close to you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%