Wedding Cake From Boxed Mix?

Baking By skylavaulter Updated 8 Feb 2013 , 12:00am by skylavaulter

skylavaulter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skylavaulter Posted 7 Feb 2013 , 11:18pm
post #1 of 6

AIm making a friend's wedding cake (2 tiers, covered in fondant) and I'm wondering what cake mix to use. I was thinking pound, but I'm not sure if there's a better mix to use. Also any flavors to add in would be a nice touch. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

5 replies
metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 7 Feb 2013 , 11:30pm
post #2 of 6

Does the wedding couple have any preferences?

skylavaulter Posted 7 Feb 2013 , 11:36pm
post #3 of 6

ANo! They're super easy going (to a fault! Lol). I made a white cake from boxed mix with lemon icing in the middle for a christening tiered cake and everyone loved it. I'm just wondering if pound is more "wedding" than white cake.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 7 Feb 2013 , 11:42pm
post #4 of 6

I suggest the WASC recipe, which uses a box mix but greatly improves it. It stands for white almond sour cream, although you don't actually have to use almond flavoring. Boxes of cake mix are less than 18 ounces, but I believe some have said that it still comes out fine.

http://cakecentral.com/recipe/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe

http://www.food.com/recipe/kakeladis-original-wasc-white-almond-sour-cream-cake-309528

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Feb 2013 , 11:44pm
post #5 of 6

What cake flavor does the bride request?  Usually a wedding cake is geared to their request.   It can be any flavor or type of cake wanted:)

The wedding cakes I made (see my gallery) almost all were made using Betty Crocker mixes. Here's a great proven recipe for wedding cakes: 

Kakeladi's ORIGINAL WASC
1 pkg Betty Crocker white cake mix
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
3 whole eggs (even for white cakes)
1 cup water
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon almond emulsion (stronger than flavoring)

In a bowl, mix 1st 3 ingredients. (see notes below) Set aside.
Place remaining ingredients in mixer bowl then add the dry.
Mix on low (I use a KA mixer) speed for 30 seconds, until dry ingredients are incorporated; mix at medium 2 minutes.
This makes 1 & 1/2 times the usual batter than a 'straight' cake mix. It will fill one of the following pans: 8"x2" sq; 12"x2" round; 9x13x2; OR one 10"x2" and 6"x2" round or two 8"x2" rounds.
Pour into pan(s) and bake as you usually do. I prefere to bake at 300 degrees F. for 20 minutes, then turn oven up to 325 degrees F. for an equal time OR until you can smell cake icon_smile.gif If it has pulled away from the edges of the pan it is *over done*. You should have a flat cake that won't (usually) need leveling & is not sticky on the top when it cools.

Special NOTES:
That's right.......there is NO oil, butter or margarine in this recipe.
Use large eggs.
If almond extract (not emulsion) is used, add 2 teaspoons or to taste.
Can use ANY cake flavor
Flavorings can change depending on cake flavor you use. Try a combination of 1 part vanilla, 1/2 part butter flavoring and 1/4 part almond.
It is important to mix the dry ingredients well especially if using a chocolate mix or you will have white spots in the finished cake. I use a wire wisk.

Since this recipe was based on the old, large-sized cake mixes there has been much confussion about what, if anything, to change since they mixes are now smaller.  I have tried several different approchases and found it still does well with NO changes.  Then again, I've been playing around w/the recipe and found the amount of sugar can be reduced if wanted.  I've reduced it by about 1/3 cup so far. 

skylavaulter Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 12:00am
post #6 of 6

AWow thanks! maybe I'll do the first tier with that and the second tier a lemon pound?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%