Mixing Icing Types On One Cake?

Decorating By KathleenC Updated 1 Feb 2013 , 10:10pm by KathleenC

KathleenC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathleenC Posted 1 Feb 2013 , 9:59pm
post #1 of 3

Hi,

I'm a newby to this forum and to caking generally, but have learned so much by reading various threads.  My thanks to Mr. Google for directing me here so many times.  :-)

I have a question about mixing icing types.  I normally use SMB, which I prefer flavour-wise, for under fondant (which I have minimal experience with, but working on that), and for covering cakes, but I find it is a very difficult icing to smooth using the traditional methods (hot spatula, parchment paper, etc.), so I'm wondering if it would be odd to mix icing types on one cake?  For example, if I were to use crusting buttercream for an area I want to make smooth, but use SMB for the rest of the cake...?  Does that make sense?

Thanks!

2 replies
metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 1 Feb 2013 , 10:07pm
post #2 of 3

SMBC is difficult to smooth without lots of practice!  Have you researched the upside-down method for icing?  That might be helpful.

There's also the option of using the SMBC as the filling for taste and leave the crusting for the outer covering for smoothing.

KathleenC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathleenC Posted 1 Feb 2013 , 10:10pm
post #3 of 3

I have seen some information about the upsidedown method, but I wasn't sure if it would work with SMBC, so haven't tried it, but that's certainly an option.  Thanks for reminding me of that.  :-)

I guess the reason that I prefer not to use crusting buttercream is that I find I don't like the flavour (too sweet) as much as SMBC, but I know that it certainly has its benefits.

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%