Can I Freeze Buttercream?

Decorating By AlyT Updated 2 Feb 2013 , 3:34am by AlyT

AlyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlyT Posted 1 Feb 2013 , 5:27pm
post #1 of 11

AI think I know the answer to this but figured I would ask. I have never frozen a cake but I made one yesterday in advance for a family members birthday and I don't need it until Tuesday. Can I freeze it? I habe fondant on top of buttercream. Help?! Thank you

10 replies
SaltCakeCity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaltCakeCity Posted 1 Feb 2013 , 7:51pm
post #2 of 11

I don't freeze my cakes but I know a LOT of bakers freeze all of their cakes so I would assume it's okay. Sorry! I hope someone with experience freezing cakes will respond!

AlyT Posted 1 Feb 2013 , 8:08pm
post #3 of 11

AThank you for the imput. Anything is helpful!

KathleenC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathleenC Posted 1 Feb 2013 , 10:17pm
post #4 of 11

I freeze buttercream all the time, but I think your real question is can you freeze buttercream under fondant.

I have no good answer to that, but I'm interested in any replies you get.  :-)

It also may depend on what kind of fondant it is.  I know different kinds/brands refrigerate or freeze better than others, so that may have a bearing on whether you can or not.

AlyT Posted 1 Feb 2013 , 10:48pm
post #5 of 11

AMarshmallow fondant. I made it. Hmm well glad I can freeze buttercream but now to findout if it will be ok under fondant! Haha

KathleenC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathleenC Posted 1 Feb 2013 , 10:59pm
post #6 of 11

I understand that the biggest concerns with freezing fondant are condensation (water on fondant = bad news, usually) and drying out and cracking.

Hopefully someone else has experience with the various types and can give you some good advice.  :-)

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 1 Feb 2013 , 11:53pm
post #7 of 11

Since you have fondant on the cake you can put it in the fridge until you need it.  Be sure to take it out in plenty of time for it to return to room temp and do not touch the fondant as you will have prints on the surface.  The condensation will disappear as it does warm up.  The fondant helps keep the cake fresh and you can still serve it on Tuesday.  In the future, if you have time, you could make the cake, ice it and set it into the freezer to get frozen, then take it out and put plastic wrap all around it well and then put it into a clean trash bag so it stays protected.  I would take it out in time to let it get warmed up, chilled cake is easier to cover with fondant, and finish it off.  Hopefully this has helped you.

AlyT Posted 2 Feb 2013 , 12:00am
post #8 of 11

AThis does help thank you so much!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 2 Feb 2013 , 1:11am
post #9 of 11

I accidentally did a two-tiered, time-consuming cake two weeks early a couple of years ago.

Instead of doing it all over again, I used a moving box from Lowe's to box the cake (fondant bows, gumpaste elements, royal icing piping, buttercream under fondant).  I wrapped the box entirely in plastic wrap, then in foil, and put it in the freezer.  I took it out of the freezer and put it in the fridge the evening before the event.  On the day of delivery, I prayed and unwrapped it.  It was absolutely perfect.  Not one thing went wrong, amazingly.  :D  I use FondX, though.  Not sure how MMF behaves.

It was this cake.  Someone suggested freezing it whole so I did.  And no one ever knew.  Until now. :D  http://cakecentral.com/g/a/1971345/sweet-little-lambs-baby-shower-cake/

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 2 Feb 2013 , 2:33am
post #10 of 11

Please read. I have done this ever since i read it also!!!

http://cakecentral.com/t/732338/freezing-fondant-covered-cake

AlyT Posted 2 Feb 2013 , 3:34am
post #11 of 11

AThank you everyone was very helpful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%