Decorators Block.. Again!!

Decorating By PressedApples Updated 21 Jan 2013 , 7:51pm by kikiandkyle

PressedApples Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PressedApples Posted 21 Jan 2013 , 3:52am
post #1 of 8

I'm having trouble with this 4-tier cake.

I'm trying to get damask, fondant ruffles and a bow onto one cake.. but I just can't figure out how to do it. Normally I wouldn't have a problem. Maybe the 4th tier is throwing me off, since I'm so used to only having to think about 3?? I have no idea.

The BTB likes this cake but I'd like to tie in the damask and bow (her centerpieces have the black & white damask and the chairs at all her tables have huge bows on the backs), I've never seen all three on a cake before. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

I'd appreciate anything you all could throw at me!! Thanks in advance!

7 replies
cakefat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefat Posted 21 Jan 2013 , 4:07am
post #2 of 8

I think adding a bow would be too much especially after adding damask.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Jan 2013 , 5:07am
post #3 of 8

The 1st thing that came to my mind is putting a rather lg bow on the very top - on top of the flowers OR maybe instead of them?

What about the possibility of making the bow ribbon w/damask design and using that as the 'topper' to the cake?

Aurora42196 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aurora42196 Posted 21 Jan 2013 , 8:23am
post #4 of 8

AIf I were to make this design. I would leave the bow on the very bottom. If you we're to put the bow on the top, it would distract you from the damask. Put the damask in the middle tier with some accents. Then use one MAYBE two rows of ruffles wrapped around the bottom of each tier acting as a ribbon. This is my opinion. Hope this helps :) happy baking

peppercorns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peppercorns Posted 21 Jan 2013 , 5:43pm
post #5 of 8

AHow about putting a large bow at the bottom tier in contrasting color of the same hue, that will give the cake a different look perhaps but I think it would look elegant.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Jan 2013 , 6:07pm
post #6 of 8

see how some of the ruffles dip down onto the side of some of the tiers and then right next to it is a blank section of the side of the tier?

even though damask is a repeating print--i'd forego that

i'd 'damask' the random open sections randomly

i'd outline the hangy down ruffles in black

so around the sides of each tier you'd have some ruffles hanging down that are outlined in black interspersed with some damask sections that are planted on the sides next to the ruffles

i'd leave the other ruffles all white

white bow on top (outlined with black--maybe/maybe not) but an oversized floppy dress bow not a big high loopy bow

so it looks kinda like it was a package tied on top with an oversized but short floppy bow with a pretty *expressive knot and pretty *expressive gathers sitting face up with the back of the bow resting on the top of the top tier

ribbon trim around each tier bottom border--narrow white

*like disney draws the cinderella dress bows--an animated bow! all white i think

have fun!! cool project!!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Jan 2013 , 6:32pm
post #7 of 8

but honestly i think the bow is too much

ruffles and damask is a pretty full cake design

those ruffles already do everything a bow could do

awesome project though

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 21 Jan 2013 , 7:51pm
post #8 of 8

What about just doing a black and white damask base with a big bow around it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%