Please Help!!

Decorating By mama moot Updated 13 Jan 2013 , 3:27pm by mama moot

mama moot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mama moot Posted 10 Jan 2013 , 1:05pm
post #1 of 11

I am new to cake central and am really hoping that someone (or a few) can offer me some suggestions on coloring MMF black, grey and metallic silver gold or pearl?  I really want to stick with the white marshmellows.  Someone has suggested to use the chocolate marshmellows so that the color is not so hard to change when going to black.  I  have tried on several different occasions and it never turns black enough.  I also have had the same trouble with making grey.  It turns into a really awkward color of purple.  I tried to use the spray black on the MMF and either it was too humid in the house or it just wont take the spray because the color ran no matter how light or heavy i tried.  The only way I have ever gotten a gold color was on Buttercream and using the spray.  Please help because I have a cake to make this weekend with both of these colors.

10 replies
Kpowell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kpowell Posted 10 Jan 2013 , 2:04pm
post #2 of 11

I am not one to give good advice for black, because I hate making black fondant.  It doesn't ever seem to come out right for me.  Either it comes out a weird consistancy (and sticky) or it seems to stay that purple color. I also think it tastes different.  My theory...keep adding black, eventually you will get the black color you are looking for.  Once I have a good balck color, I add just a bit more powdered sugar to my fondant so it is not quite so sticky to roll out.  Seems to me that I use twice as much black color to make something a true black than I do any other color. 

As for silver... I think I can help.  Use Wilton's Silver pearl dust and clear vanilla mixed together.  You can get them at just about any place that sells Wilton stuff.  Dilute your pearl dust with just a couple drops of clear vanilla. (I usually mix mine in a Tablespoon or a 1/4 measuring cup, because I have not needed much at a time Then I take a small paintbrush and paint on the silver over top of marshmellow fondant that I have colored grey with a little bit of black. (It doesnt have to be a perfect grey because you are painting over it)  Sometimes it works better if I paint on a thin layer and then paint a second or third layer over it after the 1st has dried.  Be sure to mix it together well and not to thick.  Otherwise it may clump.  Also, it tends to separate quickly, so give it a little stir with maybe a toothpick or a paintbrush before every dip to get consistnacy. 

I used this method on a sweet 16 cake. I painted some music notes silver as well as a black fondant ipod.  I painted the face of it silver.  I also used this method on a birthday cake with a saxaphone on it, where i used gold dust to paint the sax gold.  Hope this helped. (My pictures are here on CC if you want to check them out)

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 10 Jan 2013 , 2:31pm
post #3 of 11

AI make a version of MFF for my cakes, but if I need black, I buy it premade. or airbrush it. It's just such a pain to make black fondant.

javajammer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
javajammer Posted 10 Jan 2013 , 2:59pm
post #4 of 11

Black is really hard to make out of MMF. I ALWAYS buy my black premade. For silver fondant, I color my fondant grey. Then I use a powder brush with a small amount of silver luster dust, and brush on with a circle motion. Make sure your fondant is dry before doing this. If you have an airbrush they make a silver coloring.

I dry brushed silver luster dust on gray fondant to make the cake silver. I painted the cheetah print with air brush color.

mama moot Posted 10 Jan 2013 , 4:19pm
post #5 of 11

AThank you so much for your replays and absolutely, they will be of use. I'm glad that I'm not the only one!! I have been afraid to buy fondant for fear it will be waxy tasting like the Wilton brand I have bought before. Any brands to recommend?

mama moot Posted 10 Jan 2013 , 4:20pm
post #6 of 11

ASorry!! Should have spell checked I meant replys

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 10 Jan 2013 , 4:40pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama moot 

Sorry!! Should have spell checked I meant replys

replies!

marshmallows!

colormehappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
colormehappy Posted 10 Jan 2013 , 5:03pm
post #8 of 11

I'm new to this as well.  However, I love fondx and satin ice.  

ShelbyLyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShelbyLyn Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 7:13pm
post #9 of 11

I made successful black fondant once. I was making MMF, so I did a small batch, just enough for the cake and added black food coloring while I was melting the marshmallows. I used both food coloring gel and liquid food coloring it worked really well. Good Luck!

javajammer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
javajammer Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 1:36pm
post #10 of 11

I use Satin Ice and Fondx.

mama moot Posted 13 Jan 2013 , 3:27pm
post #11 of 11

AThanks for all the tips!! Especially help with my spelling. I usually dont post without checking first. I will be sure to try them all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%