Flowers

Decorating By lenagc Updated 27 Jan 2013 , 8:06pm by jamwlk03ssn

lenagc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lenagc Posted 9 Jan 2013 , 6:28pm
post #1 of 9

I have an order for a cake, the bride wants large and small orchids, I'm not sure which cutter sizes to order, also do I only need one type of veiner for different kinds of orchids? Does anyone know. Thank you in advance for your help.

8 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 9 Jan 2013 , 6:40pm
post #2 of 9

Ask the bride some specific questions about what she has in mind.  Maybe ask her to meet with you when you have some cake dummies or cake pans to show her what size her cake will be, and the orchids will have to be in proportion.

Then calculate the REAL amount of time that it will take you to make the numbers of orchids, and give her a price based on your correct hourly wage.  You may possibly be charging a LOT more for the flowers than for the cake...

To get size info on cutters, look on ebay.ca for vendor bluelakefox. His cutter listings have the actual size of each piece listed, and then you can use a ruler to decide which ones you need. 

Most people use just one size of veiner.  You line the petal up with the point of the veiner, so it will work as long as the petal fits onto the veiner.

lenagc Posted 9 Jan 2013 , 6:50pm
post #3 of 9

Wow! bakingIrene, you've been such great help Thank you. I have a veiner for one type of orchid, will it work for all types of orchids? Thank you so much.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 9 Jan 2013 , 7:07pm
post #4 of 9

Use a good photo of a real orchid to decide which veiner to use.

Vanda orchids definitely cannot use the same veiner as cattleya.

lenagc Posted 9 Jan 2013 , 7:23pm
post #5 of 9

Thank you so much, such great help. Your awesome :)

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 9 Jan 2013 , 7:57pm
post #6 of 9

As someone that just learned about all the different types of orchids and how to make them, let me tell you, each one is totally different.  You should decide which orchids you want to make then show a photo to the client to make sure they will be what they want.  Moth orchids are super hard to make btw.  You wouldn't think so by looking at them, but man they are tricky.  

As for cutters and veiners, it depends on how botanically correct you want your orchids to be.  For example, I bought 3 different moth orchid cutters and veiners before I found the set that I love that make very natural looking flowers.  I bought them from Jennifer Dontz.  Only downside is they only make one size of flower which is a bummer.

If you want to make a purchase that is very versatile to make a lot of different flowers I love http://www.firstimpressionsmolds.com/fmv104cattleyaorchidandcenters.aspx (with the backs, separate purchase).  I use this impression mat on several flowers I make.  Not 100% botanically correct but it's close enough, and any tool you can use for more then one purpose is a very good thing.  

lenagc Posted 9 Jan 2013 , 8:28pm
post #7 of 9

Thank you again, from now on your my flower "Go to" "Gal", happy baking.

lenagc Posted 9 Jan 2013 , 8:29pm
post #8 of 9

I mean Gals, thanks ladies.

jamwlk03ssn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamwlk03ssn Posted 27 Jan 2013 , 8:06pm
post #9 of 9

The cutter size actually depends on your needs.

I usually like small size of cutter.

And your veiners may be work for most of the orchids.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%