Bridal Show Specials?

Business By fcakes Updated 8 Jan 2013 , 6:40am by fcakes

fcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fcakes Posted 2 Jan 2013 , 10:46pm
post #1 of 13

AI'd really appreciate it if you can please share ideas for bridal show specials that attract brides and sound interesting! Thank you!

12 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 12:09am
post #2 of 13

About the only thing I ever had any luck with was offering 2 doz free cupcakes with a wedding cake order by a specific date.  Since I would use batter from the cake for the cupcakes, it cost me next to nothing, but was a real value add for the bride.  It would feed any kids at the reception.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 2:56am
post #3 of 13

I once did a percent off their order if they booked at the show. It worked really well to generate immediate business and to get the brides to commit. 

The next year, I offered a $.10 per serving discount coupon if they booked before a certain date after the show. That worked well too, and encouraged them to book before having to have a consult. (which therefore made sure I would only have to see them once for everything).

I haven't offered booking incentives in about 2 years, but those always worked well.

fcakes Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 5:23pm
post #4 of 13

AThank you Leah and jenmat :-) any other ideas?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 5:38pm
post #5 of 13

alright i do have one idea that i can't shake off--for what it's worth

offer extra pretty cake boards as an incentive at bridal shows for brides to commit

this lady showed me her oil paintings once--wow she was all of a sudden an earless van gogh--wow waht a talent buried all these years

then she took it out of the ornate frame--it was cool but it did loose some of it's brilliance

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

not that your cakes are not brilliant by any means--just an illustration

i'd offer maybe two kinds--you have to provide a bottom cake board anyhow

fondant a masonite board or a drum and emboss or impress or paint on or whatever for one kind (do drums take fondant ok or do they buckle--i'm not sure) 1/2 inch foamcore

but you decide in advance--they only get two choices. done.

then use the bling factor to decorate the other with that bling a ding stuff from the diamond party confetti people--wrap it around the edge

explain the ethereal subtle glow it provides

i think i'd have some flameless candles surrounding the display cake boards

just a thought

and i would visually market this at the cake booth like the lady did with the painting

with/without with/without

show how the bling or the extra decor really sets off the cake

at a minimum you would set yourself apart in their minds by being the lady with the special cake boards

it would be a nominal cost--remove the center after you roll on the fondant to save costs

just a thought

edited for clarity

-K8memphis Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 5:49pm
post #6 of 13

the bling costs more but the other is very cost effective

like two rows wrapped around a 14" board would be about $21 (plus the fondant and a bit of time)

so if you had one of each, one plain one blinged that helps average down the bling cost

you need both to appeal to all the brides some won't go for bling some would eat it up

free bridal bling

loss leader type thing

i would do this if i was building a biz

-K8memphis Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 6:11pm
post #7 of 13

ok--one more

if you need a bling cake for your portfolio offer a bling cake stand for half price (aka cost)  to the first bride to commit

in the gift store I ran it seems that sometimes people would come in and not buy and leave and not buy until the first sale of the day got the ball rolling and sales come in left & right after that kinda breaks the bubble--not exactly so for cake shows but just saying it might get people thinking and trying to decide which is what you want

creates a buzz

i hope

maybe

icon_biggrin.gif

(please, brain, shut off now. done :)

or do a drawing where they submit their names for one

fcakes Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 9:40pm
post #8 of 13

AWow K8Memphis...great ideas...please don't tell your brain to shut off!! Keep going!

-K8memphis Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 9:48pm
post #9 of 13

you're so sweet--thank you

can i come help you make them???

icon_biggrin.gif

fcakes Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 9:55pm
post #10 of 13

AOh yess! I'd love that!:-D

-K8memphis Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 9:58pm
post #11 of 13

i'll be right there

icon_lol.gif

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 5:00pm
post #12 of 13

Personally, I have never offered a discount at a show and I get a lot of business off the 1 big show a year I do.

fcakes Posted 8 Jan 2013 , 6:40am
post #13 of 13

Yes, I  didn't do it last time too and got a pretty good response...just wanted to see if there's anything that could be offered as a special without it costing too much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%