Stacking With Flowers

Decorating By bug101 Updated 31 Dec 2012 , 2:39am by Cakepro

bug101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bug101 Posted 30 Dec 2012 , 10:44pm
post #1 of 5

Had a hard time posting this picture after cutting the people out.  Hope you can see it.  I have to do this cake this weekend for a wedding and have never done anything like this.  She wants to use real flowers.  What is the best way to do this.  Did not want anything too heavy to weigh down the cake.  Thought about styrofoam between layers but the florist said she needed something wet for the flowers.  HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanksicon_smile.gif

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Dec 2012 , 11:13pm
post #2 of 5

The way it worked for me is I tell the florist the height of the pillars, the circumference within the pillars where a plastic florist thing can be set to hold the oasis  (wet foam) and how far the flowers have to stick out --(the outside perimeter) to get that hanging over effect on the two tiers. The florist comes up with the set up. That oasis stuff (wet foam) can have formaldehyde in it and I prefer to leave that between the bride and the florist.

And that might be lily of the valley which is not at all edible to a poisonous degree.

And I would do it the same way if I couldn't stick the florist with it ;) Shop where I could buy the plastic dish dealio 

http://www.afloral.com/Floral-Supplies/Containers

And foam

http://www.afloral.com/Floral-Supplies/Floral-Foam-for-Fresh

And since you've got some cascading there too I'd get some fresh flower spikes

http://search.wilton.com/?q=fresh+flower

Hey are you in North Mississippi???????

bug101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bug101 Posted 30 Dec 2012 , 11:28pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks for your help.  I am in north mississippi.  I assume with the K8memphis that you must be in Memphis?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Dec 2012 , 11:35pm
post #4 of 5

Omg--you're a fellow caker and clairvoyant!!! hahaha

Yes of course Elvistown 10 oh C.

Are you cool with that floral help? Let's see I bet you could get the bride's florist to bring you the stuff if you have to do it. Or you could go by a florist and they'd sell you the stuff. Just make sure it fits within the pillars and I mean some of the stems may need to be wired to stay sticking out there far enough--you shouldn't have to be doing all that.

Nice to meet you, Neighbor!!!!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 31 Dec 2012 , 2:39am
post #5 of 5

Shoot, I'd charge as much for the labor of doing all that floral work as I would for the cake itself.  Floral design is an art in and of itself.

My advice is for you to let the florist do it.  You could even give the florist a set of pillars, plates, and styrofoam dummies to use so he/she can get everything sized correctly.

What's kind of crazy is that you are what, 5 days out from this wedding?  Wow.  Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%