Dawns Vanilla Cake -Eggs

Baking By ANDaniels Updated 30 Dec 2012 , 8:12pm by ANDaniels

ANDaniels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANDaniels Posted 30 Dec 2012 , 3:15pm
post #1 of 6

AIf I added three or four eggs in dawns vanilla cake recipe instead of the five that it calls for, how might it change it? I've seen a picture going around about the amount of eggs in cake showing how " fluffy" the cake is. My cakes have been coming out kinda flatter than I want so I was wondering if I added one or more less eggs it might be fluffier. Or am I just looking too much into it?

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Dec 2012 , 6:56pm
post #2 of 6

I don't know. I'm not really positive of the exact products/recipes you are using but if I wanted a fluffier cake, I'd be sure I'm beating the batter long enough and I'd add a dab of baking powder.

Five eggs is kind of alot--is this like a double recipe or does it make a batch that's larger than an everage recipe. But I mean I use 6 eggs in my pound cake but it makes like a ton of batter.

It might just be a heavy cake. Would need more specifics maybe.

ANDaniels Posted 30 Dec 2012 , 7:06pm
post #3 of 6

AWhoops. Guess it would help if I added the recipe I do beat the crap out of it in the butter and egg stages:)

Ingredients 1½ Cups Unsalted Butter, softened 2 Cups Sugar 5 Eggs 1 Tsp. Salt 2¾ Cups All-Purpose Flour 1 Tsp. Baking Soda 1 Tbsp. Baking Powder 1 Tbsp. Vanilla, Butter Nut Extract 1¼ Cups Whole Milk

Instructions Preheat oven to 350. Prepare 2- 8 or 9 cake pans with wax paper sprayed with baking spray. In a stand mixer beat butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 10 min. In the meantime in a small bowl sift together all dry ingredients. Add in extract and eggs, 1 at a time and beat after each egg. Beat until fluffy about 8 min. Now alternately add flour and milk to butter mixture. Once it is all incorporated beat on high speed for 30 seconds. Remove from mixer and do a quick stir with a spoon. Evenly divide batter between to 2 pans. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with just a couple crumbs attached.

-K8memphis Posted 30 Dec 2012 , 7:12pm
post #4 of 6

The only thing I would tweak is I would def beat the eggs in one at a time but not for 8 mins at that point. I would not continue unless there was a beautifully smoothy smooth procust at this point though. Then beat it at the end for like 2-3 mins.

All due respect to Dawn and her lovely formula. That's just how I would tweak it if I was having an issue with the rise and fluffy factor.

Would love to know how it turns out if you try this or if/how you get this resolved.

-K8memphis Posted 30 Dec 2012 , 7:37pm
post #5 of 6

Yes that would def lighten it up.

And btw--the baking powder looks good I would not tweak it if you are using a tablespoon.

Using extra fine granulated sugar makes a difference.

Sifting the flour lightens things a bit.

And what I do is whisk my flour in the flour bag to loosen it up slightly. You don't want to get a scoop of completely packed down flour. This why a lot of people weigh. I do both but for anything i make i whisk the flour around before I measure.

Random cake making thoughts.

ANDaniels Posted 30 Dec 2012 , 8:12pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the imput.... I will see what happens tonight! :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%