Things Not To Ask/say To A Baker!

Decorating By step0nmi Updated 20 Oct 2016 , 2:28pm by ch5964

meriem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meriem Posted 7 Apr 2013 , 8:25am
post #721 of 3221

A

Original message sent by cazza1

Costumeczar I know all about the proteins in the different flours but they are only fairly new here as I said.  I have also never seen a recipe in an Australian cookbook that calls for cake flour.  Is it something that pops up regularly in Overseas books?  I wonder if different recipes are formulated slightly differently to account for the different flours.  I make wonderful cake but I will say I am very careful about not over mixing once the flour goes in.

In the UK, from what I know we don't have cake flour readily available, always thought it was an American thing too. Recipes generally either call for plain or self-raising flour. When I get a recipe online sometimes it calls for cake flour, I tried a substitute once, If I remember correctly you substitute some plain flour for cornflour, don't know the ratios from memory, didn't notice that much of a difference.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 7 Apr 2013 , 11:52am
post #722 of 3221

A

Original message sent by meriem

I'm a Muslim, a halal cake is petty easy to accomplish. The food doesn't need to be blessed, the only time food is blessed is when meat is being slaughtered (not applicable to cakes) and when we actually eat ( we say 'bismillah' in the name of Allah). In terms of cakes it just needs to be 100% alcohol free so including vanilla extract ( I use beans or the paste) and gelatine free. I have never been taught of not using the same spatula as you would use in another cake ( you do wash it right!) things don't need to be 100% separate as long as no contamination occurs. And yes kosher and halal are very similar (kosher IMO slightly more strict) if it's kosher then Muslims can eat it! With regards to the op I don't see why you can't list the ingredients just to keep your costumer's mind at ease

Exactly. No animal products, no alcohol, and following standard safe food handling practices (which are required anyway to avoid cross-contamination) = halal.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 7 Apr 2013 , 1:51pm
post #723 of 3221

AI've never used cake flour, a tiny box costs $5 while I can get 5 times as much AP flour for $2. My cakes will just have to be a little heavier until I can get into ordering wholesale to make it affordable! The fact that its not used in other countries make me wonder if its yet another of those American ripoffs that we're so fond of.

hieperdepiep Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hieperdepiep Posted 7 Apr 2013 , 2:02pm
post #724 of 3221

I am from a country where it is hard to find cakeflour (Holland). But after some search ( inspired by this site) I did find it and yes, it does make a difference. It gives a much softer and tender crumb. Teddybear soft. icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Apr 2013 , 2:03pm
post #725 of 3221

while i'm not doubting the ripoff part--splurge one day and try it

like make two pound cakes or something -- maybe split one recipe--make half with each kind

and you'll see a significant difference-- ;)

kikiandkyle Posted 7 Apr 2013 , 2:04pm
post #726 of 3221

AMaybe I will, if I'm feeling flush! But I fear it's a door I don't want to open, like when I gave Nielsen Massey Vanilla Paste a try instead of the extract I was buying Costco for much less...

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 7 Apr 2013 , 2:10pm
post #727 of 3221

My neighbor called the a few weeks back... He knows I bake... He says he needs a favor... I ask him what and he tells me he needs a vanilla cake with vanilla icing for his grandson's birthday...

My neighbor has custody of his grandson and his wife passed many years ago, so I do bake for them occasionally since I have known this man for over twenty years and have watched his grandson grow up... He has never asked for anything odd or extra or special...

so I say sure... when do you need it...

He says tomorrow...   icon_eek.gif

I know his grandson... and the boy is a goat... he will eat anything and doesn't bother tasting it most of the time...

I did make him a simple in pan oval cake... it was only for him and his son anyhow... And I reminded him to please give me more notice... 

I guess it is a good think I love my neighbors!  icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Apr 2013 , 2:15pm
post #728 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiandkyle 

Maybe I will, if I'm feeling flush! But I fear it's a door I don't want to open, like when I gave Nielsen Massey Vanilla Paste a try instead of the extract I was buying Costco for much less...

bwuwahahaha

icon_lol.gif

twisted sister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twisted sister Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 2:48am
post #729 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixinarow 

Here's one--  Since you're just starting out, how about you give me a 3 tiered-fondant-covered-modeling-chocolate-figure-toppered-6-flavored-torted cake for my daughter's bridal shower..in 2 days. It'll be good for you and give you lots of exposure.

How kind of you to think of me but I'd rather GIVE you a poke in the eye. That'd work better for my schedule. icon_biggrin.gif

GIRL..........does that not make you want to smack her face ?!  AND on top of all that they want it for about a fourth of it's worth !  GRRRRRR !!!

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 2:53am
post #730 of 3221

A

Original message sent by kikiandkyle

I've never used cake flour, a tiny box costs $5 while I can get 5 times as much AP flour for $2. My cakes will just have to be a little heavier until I can get into ordering wholesale to make it affordable! The fact that its not used in other countries make me wonder if its yet another of those American ripoffs that we're so fond of.

Cake flour is priced so high at grocery stores because it is a specialty item there. You can get a 50# bag of cake flour at Restaurant Depot for ~$15, even if you end up throwing most of it away you are still probably saving money.

It is definitely not a ripoff, the type of flour used can have a significant effect on the texture of the cake. If you don't have access to buy in bulk, whether or not this is worth the premium is another question.

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 3:04am
post #731 of 3221

A

Original message sent by kikiandkyle

I've never used cake flour, a tiny box costs $5 while I can get 5 times as much AP flour for $2. My cakes will just have to be a little heavier until I can get into ordering wholesale to make it affordable! The fact that its not used in other countries make me wonder if its yet another of those American ripoffs that we're so fond of.

So you're in fear of making your cakes taste better? Because that's exactly what cake flour does. I remember the first time I used cake flour it makes a world of difference. Even my daughter who doesn't really like cake loves vanilla cake made with real cake flour.

Ekaba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ekaba Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 3:36am
post #732 of 3221

I've heard that you can use a couple of tablespoons of cornstarch in AP flour(remove 2 tbsp from the flour first, then replace with cornstarch) to emulate cake flour.  Maybe try that out, so you can get the tenderness of cake flour at AP flour prices.  I do agree, that using cake flour makes the difference for the better if the recipe calls for it.  I also add instant pudding or sour cream to the batter to make it really moist, and light.  Hope this helps.

kikiandkyle Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 4:24am
post #733 of 3221

A

Original message sent by kazita

So you're in fear of making your cakes taste better? Because that's exactly what cake flour does. I remember the first time I used cake flour it makes a world of difference. Even my daughter who doesn't really like cake loves vanilla cake made with real cake flour.

No, I'm in fear of only ever wanting to use another very expensive product in my cakes! There isn't a restaurant depot anywhere near me, the closest thing is a GFS and their baking section is dismal. So far, I'm really happy with my cakes as they are, and since cake flour isn't something I'll be able to use if I move back overseas, I'll probably just stick with what I'm using.

kazita Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 5:04am
post #734 of 3221

A

Original message sent by Ekaba

I've heard that you can use a couple of tablespoons of cornstarch in AP flour(remove 2 tbsp from the flour first, then replace with cornstarch) to emulate cake flour.  Maybe try that out, so you can get the tenderness of cake flour at AP flour prices.  I do agree, that using cake flour makes the difference for the better if the recipe calls for it.  I also add instant pudding or sour cream to the batter to make it really moist, and light.  Hope this helps.

Pain in the butt to do but it can be done.

joythebaker.com/2009/09/how-to-make-cake-flour/

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 6:02am
post #735 of 3221

Well a lot of people seem to think it makes a difference so I will give the cake flour a go again.  I think I will try the cornflour as above as cake flour is an horrendous price where I live, like most things in the bush.  By the way has anyone here tried this and compared it to the bought cake flour?

kazita Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 6:21am
post #736 of 3221

AI haven't it sounds like a pain in the butt to do but if cake flour is really expensive where you live it might be worth a shot. By the way the recipe I use also calls for sour cream in it like the other poster mentioned that makes a big difference too.

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 6:25am
post #737 of 3221

AI have had to substitute corn starch & AP flour for cake flour several times in a pinch. It works just fine, because you are simply 'diluting' the gluten abilities in the AP flour with the cornstarch.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 6:46am
post #738 of 3221

I've tried the starch/flour mix, I didn't sift five times though, lol, but it still worked quite well. I just dumped it all in my flour sifter and ran it through once.

I have also tried it with tapioca starch, I had some extra on hand and figured I'd give it a go, lol. There was very little difference, but the tapioca gave me a slightly tighter crumb.

kazita Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 6:58am
post #739 of 3221

ASift sift sift sift your booty Sift your booty lol just singing to myself. :grin:

carmenscake_helsinki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmenscake_helsinki Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 7:00am
post #740 of 3221

I must say that cake flour makes a lot of difference!

In the past I used AP flour, my cakes tasted good, everyone liked, but when I used cake flour for the first time I was in love with it!

Where I live cake flour is an expensive product but since I tried the first time and the result was stunning, I just use CF as I think it makes a better product. My clients deserve to have a good product, they are paying for it.

Of course one must do their account for their cake price to make it cover all the expensive products, work and time.

I also had a client asking for no gelatin. It didn't end up nice... He asked straight away for a cake with no fondant, but with marzipan. I do not use marzipan to cover my cakes...And this information is listed on my website, where it says my fondant ingrendients (people in Finland always ask if there are nuts in it, cause they have a lot of allergies, so I got tired of replying everytime, so just wrote the fondant's ingredients list there!icon_razz.gif) I assume he read all of it, what in fact is really good!

I told him I don't work with Marzipan and unfortunately my fondant has gelatin, and there is no way to make my fondant without gelatin.

He replied saying that this was really bad, he was expecting that I could do it, because I'm a cake designer and so I should make the cake as the client wants... So, at the end of the story, one more thing to don't ask/say to a bakerthumbsdown.gif

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 7:08am
post #741 of 3221

AThanks, kazita. Now that tune is stuck in my head...

kazita Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 7:08am
post #742 of 3221

A

Original message sent by carmenscake_helsinki

I must say that cake flour makes a lot of difference! In the past I used AP flour, my cakes tasted good, everyone liked, but when I used cake flour for the first time I was in love with it! Where I live cake flour is an expensive product but since I tried the first time and the result was stunning, I just use CF as I think it makes a better product. My clients deserve to have a good product, they are paying for it. Of course one must do their account for their cake price to make it cover all the expensive products, work and time.

I also had a client asking for no gelatin. It didn't end up nice... He asked straight away for a cake with no fondant, but with marzipan. I do not use marzipan to cover my cakes...And this information is listed on my website, where it says my fondant ingrendients (people in Finland always ask if there are nuts in it, cause they have a lot of allergies, so I got tired of replying everytime, so just wrote the fondant's ingredients list there!:P ) I assume he read all of it, what in fact is really good! I told him I don't work with Marzipan and unfortunately my fondant has gelatin, and there is no way to make my fondant without gelatin. He replied saying that this was really bad, he was expecting that I could do it, because I'm a cake designer and so I should make the cake as the client wants... So, at the end of the story, one more thing to don't ask/say to a baker:-t

I LOVE my cake flour.

kazita Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 7:10am
post #743 of 3221

A

Original message sent by IAmPamCakes

Thanks, kazita. Now that tune is stuck in my head...

Welcome :-D

meriem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meriem Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 9:52am
post #744 of 3221

AI guess I'll have to try the cake flour thing again, I have never used but I have used the corn flour substitute and didn't notice much of a difference. Might split my batter and make half with plain flour and half with the substitute seeing as everyone thinks it makes a difference, I feel left out now! lol

kazita Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 10:16am
post #745 of 3221

A

Original message sent by meriem

I guess I'll have to try the cake flour thing again, I have never used but I have used the corn flour substitute and didn't notice much of a difference. Might split my batter and make half with plain flour and half with the substitute seeing as everyone thinks it makes a difference, I feel left out now! lol

No need to feel left out....come to the cake flour using side lol

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 10:39am
post #746 of 3221

AYou don't even need to add the cornflour to it. Just remove two Tbsp of flour per cup of AP flour and you'll be fine.

BUT...different recipes call for different types of flour for a reason. If you have a recipe that specifically calls for AP flour it might not work as well with cake flour. You can experimnt and adjust the balances of different ingredients to see if you like the result better, but some cakes do need AP flour. My recipe for white cake started out with cake flour, but after years of messing with it I use AP in it now. Sometimes when you adjust one ingredient you need to adjust others, so don't automatically assume that cake flour will work better every time..

costumeczar Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 10:49am
post #747 of 3221

AOh, by the way,I get Swans Down cake flour at Walmart and it's only about $2.75 a box. Each box is enough for a couple of 8" cakes, so no biggie. You can also buy White Lily flour in bags and that's pastry flour, so the protein contnt in that is a lot closer to cake flour. One of my recipes calls for that,or for a combination of cake and AP.

sweettreatsbysandra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreatsbysandra Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 11:57am
post #748 of 3221

i had a friend's friend order a superman cake that she would take to a party as a present to the birthday celebrator. 2 weeks prior to pick up, she sent me pics, rang a number of times for very specific requirements on the design. i complied and did the best i can... a few minutes after he son picked up the cake, she posted on my fb page "cake looks awesome. love the design... thank you!" then she posted pics on her facebook with the cake being cut, and everyone looked happy... 5 days later, she sent me a text saying "just a constructive criticism, but your red velvet was dry and crumbly".... wth?!!! i was fuming mad! first she compliments me then she criticizes me! 

kazita Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 1:10pm
post #749 of 3221

A

Original message sent by sweettreatsbysandra

i had a friend's friend order a superman cake that she would take to a party as a present to the birthday celebrator. 2 weeks prior to pick up, she sent me pics, rang a number of times for very specific requirements on the design. i complied and did the best i can... a few minutes after he son picked up the cake, she posted on my fb page "cake looks awesome. love the design... thank you!" then she posted pics on her facebook with the cake being cut, and everyone looked happy... 5 days later, she sent me a text saying "just a constructive criticism, but your red velvet was dry and crumbly".... wth?!!! i was fuming mad! first she compliments me then she criticizes me! 

Oh wow! Nice real nice

costumeczar Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 1:32pm
post #750 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettreatsbysandra 

Well, that's possible that she thought is was dry, that has nothing to do with what it looked like. But I'd definitely put her on the no-cake-for-you list since you wouldn't want to make her endure another "dry crumbly" cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%