Cake Central

Lounge By ctackett Updated 9 Jan 2013 , 2:04am by ctackett

ctackett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctackett Posted 24 Nov 2012 , 8:13pm
post #1 of 6

This site has evolved so much since I first joined over ten years ago.   The talent and the cakes are so amazing!  I don't post my cakes on here any more b/c they don't measure up to the designs I see on here.  CUDOS CAKE CENTRAL!!!

5 replies
foodguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foodguy Posted 24 Nov 2012 , 9:30pm
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctackett 

This site has evolved so much since I first joined over ten years ago.   The talent and the cakes are so amazing!  I don't post my cakes on here any more b/c they don't measure up to the designs I see on here.  CUDOS CAKE CENTRAL!!!

And this is one of the issues that I find with Cake Central. Everyone of us had to learn and grow, but there is an ever-present tone on this sight that it's only for the most accomplished and the best of the best. I enjoy seeing the work of amateurs and non professionals. I feel that there are some wonderful ideas and thoughts not shared because many are made to feel that there work "doesn't measure up".......what a shame.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 25 Nov 2012 , 1:04am
post #3 of 6

My cakes don't measure up to many of the professionals on here...but they are a heck of a lot better than when I first started here!   I never felt intimidated...primarily because it's how you learn to get better.  If you post a picture,  just put in your description that you want a critique and chances are you'll get all kinds of ideas on how to improve.   Otherwise most people won't say anything thinking it's going to hurt your feelings. 

This is also a fountain of inspiration as well.  Sometimes I've used an idea I've seen on a less-than-perfect cake because I liked their concept.  (always give credit when possible). 

It's true that so many cakes are looking more and more professional these days-- even from home bakers.  I think it's in large part due to all the new tools and easily accessible information available now. 

I say to anyone who thinks their cakes aren't good enough to post...don't be afraid!  You'll look back on all your efforts and see how much you've improved!

soledad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soledad Posted 25 Nov 2012 , 1:58am
post #4 of 6

I am an amateur also... but I have never felt intimidated by the better decorators or the professionals that post their cakes. I love to see their work and some of them give descriptions as to how they had acomplished a certain technique or they answer one of the questions in the comments for which I am grateful!.  I think  we should all feel good about how far we have come and how much better our cakes are now! Every year I make about 12 cakes , I started in Oct 2008 and I still have a lot to learn and practice, but every year my cakes look better and better! Do not get discourage by someone else's work, just enjoy it! and practice , practice, practice!!!icon_smile.gif

Ciao!

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 16 Dec 2012 , 9:02am
post #5 of 6

As a hobby decorator I only do about 12 cakes a year and only if I make a real effort and make cakes just because I feel like it. I learned 22 years ago but have just come back after a 10 year hiatus in which we were lucky to get a Christmas cake.  I find my standard varies enormously from as good as the best to those bad days when all you can say is "oh well" and think "isn't is lucky that I am not being paid for this cake.  I don't let it get me down too much.  I find visiting this site really inspirational, though it is easy to sit and look at cakes all day rather than actually doing them.  As said above technique does not have to be spot on to insipre others, quite often it is the idea.  Keep posting.  Then more amateurs will be encouraged to have a go.

ctackett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctackett Posted 9 Jan 2013 , 2:04am
post #6 of 6

AI forgot about posting this. I enjoyed all the replies I have actually been decorating since I was 17 I am now 51. I just did my best ever wedding cake I to love allot the beautiful cakes on here and when I get an order for something challenging I come here quite often

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%