Hostess

Business By CakeEnvyKS Updated 19 Nov 2012 , 11:07pm by jason_kraft

CakeEnvyKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeEnvyKS Posted 19 Nov 2012 , 5:38pm
post #1 of 3

I'm amazed no one has posted this yet, or perhaps they have and I just can't find it.

As we all have heard by now, Hostess is closing.  I'm sure the brands will be purchased by some other company and they'll be sold again soon enough, but for now stores are reporting big sales on Hostess products as people are hoarding them.  So it occurs to me I could maybe do a small business in homemade Twinkies.  After all they're just a sponge cake with frosting injected.  Of course mine would not taste the same but they also wouldn't have all the preservatives and junk, either.  My cost would be a pan (I've seen those out there), and development time and product.  I've seen recipes for homemade Twinkies online for years.  They don't seem very hard, and when made in bulk it could be an easy way to crank out product and get my name in front of people who might then order actual cakes.  Does anyone out there offer this in their businesses?  Is it worth starting up?  I also don't want to get sued!  I wouldn't call them Twinkies of course.  What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

2 replies
luckylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 19 Nov 2012 , 11:07pm
post #3 of 3

AWe used to offer gluten-free and vegan "snack cakes", which were made in the same form factor as Twinkies. They did not sell well since we charged $2.50 each, they might have sold better if we had a storefront and were able to offer them as impulse items.

In any case, Twinkies are not going away, they will still be available under generic labels.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%