Georgia's New Cottage Law

Business By CakeEvolution Updated 25 Sep 2013 , 12:24pm by soldiernurse

CakeEvolution Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeEvolution Posted 18 Nov 2012 , 6:27pm
post #1 of 16

Hi fellow bakers, I just learned that GA has a new cottage law in place for home bakers!!! Check it out http://agr.georgia.gov/cottage-foods.aspx

I know a lot of people starting out will be excited to see this!! Best Wishesicon_biggrin.gif

15 replies
Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 18 Nov 2012 , 7:02pm
post #2 of 16

Cottage law? Do you mean cottage food law?

CakeEvolution Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeEvolution Posted 19 Nov 2012 , 12:48pm
post #3 of 16

AYes... Cottage Food Law

soldiernurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soldiernurse Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 2:04am
post #4 of 16

AThis is an old thread but is there any Ga home cake businesses out there? Need a summary of the law in simpler terms please!

RoyalCreamery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RoyalCreamery Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 4:01am
post #5 of 16

AI also would like more information on this.. I am a home baker and sell mostly to friends and friends of friends.. I do have a business license but would like to become completely legal as to grow my business...

swishykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swishykitty Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 4:35am
post #6 of 16

There is a facebook page devoted to the Georgia Cottage Food Law

https://www.facebook.com/GeorgiaCottageFoods?ref=ts&fref=ts

RoyalCreamery Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 2:50pm
post #7 of 16

AI found the page last night.. Thanks :)

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 5:02pm
post #8 of 16

I have a commercial kitchen built onto my home, so I'm not considerd "cottage" but I do get regularly inspected by the Dept of Ag.  I spoke to her the last time she visited about the cottage food law here in GA and she said that the biggest hurdle she had seen was getting zoning approval.  She said that many city health depts weren't crazy about the whole cottage food idea.

RoyalCreamery Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 5:35pm
post #9 of 16

ACupadee.. What area are you in? I dream of having a commercial kitchen someday.. Especially since I cater also... I'd love to see your work kitchen.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 5:46pm
post #10 of 16

A

Original message sent by soldiernurse

This is an old thread but is there any Ga home cake businesses out there? Need a summary of the law in simpler terms please!

A summary of frequently asked questions about the law is here: http://agr.georgia.gov/Data/Sites/1/media/ag_consumerprotection/cottage_food/files/cottagefoodsfaq.pdf

If you have additional questions you can call the GA Food Safety division at 404-656-3627.

eyislesgeof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eyislesgeof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 7:33pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalCreamery 

Cupadee.. What area are you in? I dream of having a commercial kitchen someday.. Especially since I cater also... I'd love to see your work kitchen.

I am in Tunnel Hill, which is in north Georgia, very close to Tennessee.  I have made some minor changes to my kitchen over time, but I have a few old shots of it on my website.

soldiernurse Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 7:44pm
post #14 of 16

thanks guys..you all have been very helpful..have learned a lot from your suggested sites all ready..

dmorefield Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmorefield Posted 25 Sep 2013 , 2:50am
post #15 of 16

.I've been open for a few months now.  Just getting my feet wet.  All the information you need to apply is on the web site for GA dept of Agriculture.  Applications and guidlines. There was a facebook page for the GA cottage law but I can't fine it now, don't know if they took it down or what. It was alot easier then I thought it was going to be to get the licenses.  You need to check with your city/county government to make sure they will allow you to do it. You will have to have a permith/ licencse form both.

Debbie Morefield

Owner / Operator

Debs Curbside Cupcakes

soldiernurse Posted 25 Sep 2013 , 12:24pm
post #16 of 16

good information..tks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%