Last Question Of The Day.... How Much To Charge For A 60 Serving Cake??

Decorating By Corinne77 Updated 17 Nov 2012 , 3:17am by Corinne77

Corinne77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corinne77 Posted 15 Nov 2012 , 5:59pm
post #1 of 4

What is the going rate for a two tiered 60 serving cake? My sister and I usually work for cheap b/c we bake for her school, so I'm not sure how much to charge a new customer. I know there are websites out there with opinions on this but thought I'd ask here.

Thanks!

3 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 15 Nov 2012 , 6:43pm
post #2 of 4

AHow much will this cake cost you, in terms of ingredients, labor (number of hours * your hourly wage), and allocated overhead (insurance, license fees, etc. on a per-order basis)? Knowing your cost will help determine your price.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 16 Nov 2012 , 5:59pm
post #3 of 4

What's your local minimum wage?

What's your local price for butter, eggs, flour, sugar?

WE cannot possibly give you a price quote because we have no idea of what YOU will have to pay for ingredients, or what you should be paid for your work.  

YOU have to figure those things.  Now because you have already been baking, you know how much your cake costs and how long it takes you to make.  So decide how much you want to be paid per hour, and do your calculations accordingly.

Please--this isn't any different than scaling a recipe to double or half.  If you can bake a cake, then you can do the arithmetic to set a fair price.

Corinne77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corinne77 Posted 17 Nov 2012 , 3:17am
post #4 of 4

Thank you Jason_Kraft! Your response makes sense.

As a new "Business" baker, I frequently come to cake central to ask for the opinions, advice and help from those with more expertise. (Yes, I am making my business legal...zoning, inspection, insurance, etc...).  Most members are amazingly kind and generous with their responses and posts. BakingIrene, your post offered none of the above so I'm not really sure why you took the time to post anything at all. I'm just trying to turn something I love doing into a small home business. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%