Holiday Cookie Trays!

Baking By momtoabby Updated 11 Dec 2012 , 5:29pm by smile22

momtoabby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtoabby Posted 14 Nov 2012 , 3:51am
post #1 of 14

Hi everyone! I am thinking of advertising a Holiday Cookie tray but I am having a hard time deciding on a price to charge. I read over past posts, from last year, but realize the cost of ingredients have gone up since then.  I am going to offer 5 choices and they can choose 4 dozen (mix or match specialty cookies, not my decorated sugar cookies). For in town delivery, I would put on a tray and wrap the tray pretty..for out of town, I would ship.  The posts I read last year , someone who sold trays similiar to what I am offering, charged 25.00.  I was thinking of charging $40.00 but I don't want to over price them.  If anyone has any thoughts, please share them with me icon_biggrin.gif  Thank you!

13 replies
rjcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rjcakes Posted 14 Nov 2012 , 6:02pm
post #2 of 14

Hi - I do catered small dessert trays - some cookies, brownies, petit fours - things like that and charge at a minimum $.75 each. So if someone wants 4 dozen, I would charge at least $36 and add in a little for the plastic tray (usually $5 as I get them for $2.50). Hope this helps!

RJ

momtoabby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtoabby Posted 14 Nov 2012 , 7:09pm
post #3 of 14

Thank you so much for your input!icon_smile.gif

modthyrth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
modthyrth Posted 15 Nov 2012 , 6:54am
post #4 of 14

For the trays, look into buying plastic chargers from Michaels or Hobby Lobby or whatever your local big craft store is.  They periodically have them on sale for about $1, they're pretty, and they're big!  I use mine all the time, but I've never once used them as an actual charger!

shellybeans2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellybeans2 Posted 20 Nov 2012 , 2:52pm
post #5 of 14

I just started selling holiday treat trays as well. Here is a link to what mine look like and my pricing. http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.432022993513731.88361.255263994522966&type=3

I based my pricing compared to the local grocery store but then charged more because they are fancier and home-made. Hope this helps you some!

jewelsq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelsq Posted 20 Nov 2012 , 6:15pm
post #6 of 14

Shelly, what size diameter are your small and large? Thanks! They're lovely, as is the FB post, by the way!

shellybeans2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellybeans2 Posted 21 Nov 2012 , 1:29am
post #7 of 14

Thank you!

The trays are 12in and 16in.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Nov 2012 , 1:38am
post #8 of 14

Re buying charger plates:  try your local Goodwill, Salvation Army or other thrift stores.  I have seen many at such stores.  Since I'm not interested, I can't say how much they are charging for them, but worth a look-see :)

deesweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deesweets Posted 2 Dec 2012 , 11:42pm
post #9 of 14

Hello, so how many of each item do you put on a tray?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Dec 2012 , 5:32am
post #10 of 14

deesweets: as many as will fit.  It depends on each one and how much room it takes on the plate.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 4 Dec 2012 , 12:27pm
post #11 of 14

If selling treats is a hobby, then borrowing a price structure is fine. But if you're in business, it's important to price all your products based on your own costs. Otherwise you might be paying customers to buy your baked goods. I realize that pricing based on what fellow CC'ers charge is the easiest way to set prices, but learning how to accurately determine customer price will help your business remain profitable.

beachhousebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachhousebakes Posted 4 Dec 2012 , 12:29pm
post #12 of 14

I have been doing it for $14 a pound. These are not decorated cookies, and no nuts involved. my more intricate cookies, like linzer tarts, would be 16 a pound. sold 24 lbs for thanksgiving, local delivery only

jewelsq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelsq Posted 8 Dec 2012 , 7:45pm
post #13 of 14

I found fabulous metal embossed trays (about 9" round and similar rectangle) at Dollar Tree. Gorgeous! and plenty of them. You can even buy them online, by the case and have them delivered to you or for free to your local dollar tree store for pickup, according to the website.

smile22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smile22 Posted 11 Dec 2012 , 5:29pm
post #14 of 14

its my first time doing cookies for someone and i am charging her 9 a dozen 75 cents per cookie she wants 6 dozen cookies so its about 54.00 i have all my basic stuff at home flour sugar eggs vanilla, the only things i have to buy is butter a 2 bags of white chocolate a bag of milk and dark, some peppermint thins and 2 trays i figure ill spend less than 20 in supplies i get most of my stuff from the discount grocery store aldi much cheaper than a regular grocery store and the chocolate taste the same as the expensive nestles brand and half the price 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%