Can I Re-Cover A Fondant Cake With More Fondant?? Asap Please!!

Decorating By dukeswalker Updated 11 Nov 2012 , 12:31am by dukeswalker

dukeswalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dukeswalker Posted 10 Nov 2012 , 5:14pm
post #1 of 13

GAH!  Totally freaking out and completely stressed!  I am making a wedding cake for a friend and texted a picture to them last night and she loved it (in tears, she said!) Then this morning I get a call wanting to know if they can remove the swiss dots from the cake....says the MOB thinks it looks like a birthday cake and NOT a wedding cake.  I tried to pop off the dots but they are leaving a shadow, I could remove all the fondant but I don't have enough buttercream to re-frost the cakes before putting on new fondant.  Can I just re-roll fondant and lay it over the already fondant covered cake??

12 replies
handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 10 Nov 2012 , 5:39pm
post #2 of 13

Yes you can --after taking off the dots--but it sounds gross! Are the dots RI? You can actually "wash" fondant that has set. Pop off the dots, dampen a clean white cloth, and gently wipe off the shadow. Try it on one or two and see what you think.

On the other hand, if it was my cake, I'd call the bride assure her that her original design is beautiful, and maybe send her a couple of pictures of other wedding cakes with dots. Good quality pictures. If she insisted on a re-do there would be an additional fee. HTH

dukeswalker Posted 10 Nov 2012 , 5:50pm
post #3 of 13

Here is the cake...It will be on a large silver cake plateau.

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 10 Nov 2012 , 6:04pm
post #4 of 13

MOB is entitled to her opinion, but I'm guessing she's just stressing in general. The cake is fine as it stands. Don't try to re-fondant (take off the old) at this stage. Everything could start to fall apart. I think it's public relations time -- a little reassurance goes a long way. Tell her this is a popular look (it is).

dukeswalker Posted 10 Nov 2012 , 6:13pm
post #5 of 13

After the call I ended up totally second guessing everything about the cake - it IS a handmade item and not manufactured in a factory, so every little imperfection caused me to have a mini freak out.  

I think handymama is right - I heard from the SOB that MOB has turned into mommy-zilla today.  I'm just really freaked out about the added stress of a wedding cake - afterall, the pics will be there long after the cake is gone and if something catostrphic should happen you can't exactly run to Safeway to grab a replacement.  The call sort of sent me into a freak out frenzy, shaky hands and all!  

I think I'll just stick to birthday & baby shower cakes from now on. ;)

Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 10 Nov 2012 , 6:14pm
post #6 of 13

IMO, the cake looks beautiful.  The Swiss dots mimic the flower centers.  I really like it.

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 10 Nov 2012 , 6:34pm
post #7 of 13

I can't believe MOB thought that looked like a birthday cake! That cake is beautiful! Stop stressing out and be proud of the lovely cake you've provided. IMO, it would be a little plain without the dots breaking up the plain fondant. And the flowers are going to be the thing that grabs everyone's eye. They are gorgeous. I would certainly not deconstruct a perfectly fine cake because of a mother's freak out! Just sayin'.

melanie-1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanie-1221 Posted 10 Nov 2012 , 6:49pm
post #8 of 13

That cake is gorgeous as it sits. I would talk with the bride and see how she feels about the dots. It's HER wedding, not her mothers and if she is thrilled with it then I would leave it alone. I agree with the other posters, I would not fondant over , I would do a complete tear off and there would be an additional fee for the additional materials and labor. Good luck

dukeswalker Posted 10 Nov 2012 , 7:36pm
post #9 of 13

Just talked to the bride (she called me 30 minutes before the ceremony!)  and she loves the cake.  :D  SHe said her mom has COMPLETELY freaked out and has turned insane.  Phew.....

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 10 Nov 2012 , 9:39pm
post #10 of 13

That cake is simply gorgeous.  Must be a full moon.  If the MOB is like that with one part of the wedding, can you imagine what she'll do to other vendors.  Probably menopausal.  Sigh.............................

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 11 Nov 2012 , 12:02am
post #11 of 13

There's another thread on here about whether to send a photo of a finished cake before delivery...This is a good reason why "NO" is the right answer to that request!

dinascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinascakes Posted 11 Nov 2012 , 12:12am
post #12 of 13

Your cake is perfect!  Let it be.

dukeswalker Posted 11 Nov 2012 , 12:31am
post #13 of 13

I agree about NOT sending a photo.  I actually sent it to our mutual friend, who suggested I send it on to the bride...which I did.  ;)  Anyway, the cake was delivered and made it there safe & sound via SPS.  They asked that I deliver the caky at 2 (original plan was 3-3:30) and when I got there NO ONE was there, except for the florist...Not even the designated "wedding coordinator/aunt".  I stuck around for awhile and then just left the cake there after taking a picture of it.  I was assured it would be away from the sun (it wasn't) and the a/c would be pumping (it was warming inside than outside).  I HOPE it goes OK!  Here it is....

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/2851014/a/3264500/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%