How To Get Separation Between Cake And Cake Stand

Decorating By sugarcakes65 Updated 18 Oct 2012 , 10:14pm by BakingIrene

sugarcakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcakes65 Posted 18 Oct 2012 , 1:31pm
post #1 of 8

I have a bride that is wanting a design inspired by the wedding cake shown on the link, http://pinterest.com/pin/91620173640658582/. She specifically wants the separation between the cake and cake stand with flowers. Her cake is 4-tiered, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to achieve the separation and have it resemble the picture. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated! icon_lol.gif

7 replies
matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 18 Oct 2012 , 1:57pm
post #2 of 8

You need to treat it like a five-tier cake with separator plates except there is no cake on the bottom tier. The very full effect of flowers covers all pillars and structure.

It would go like this: separator plate, pillars, separator plate, cake tier, cake tier, cake tier, cake tier. Of course each cake tier would have its own plate and support system.

The supports need to be rock solid. Choose a good system and price it into the cost of the cake.

Dani1081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dani1081 Posted 18 Oct 2012 , 1:59pm
post #3 of 8

You just need something slightly smaller than the bottom tier to elevate the whole cake off of the cake board. Alot of people use styrofoam spacers or styrofoam cake dummies - they are super strong. Or, you can use a plate and pillars to elevate the cake. Anything you use will probably be hidden by the flowers if you arrange them like the photo.

sugarcakes65 Posted 18 Oct 2012 , 2:09pm
post #4 of 8

Thank you! I had considered both of these options. However, I wasn't sure the plates/pillars would be strong enough to support the weight of the cake. I have nightmares of it slipping on the stand.

I ordered a styrofoam dummy piece and was hoping it would be strong enough to support the cake. Do you think the dummy cake would be a better option than a wood block underneath? I just don't want to have a collapsed cake on my hands. icon_biggrin.gif

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 18 Oct 2012 , 2:23pm
post #5 of 8

I have used styrofoam dummies to elevate cakes exactly like this! They are very solid and the cake will be fine! I've sat a 5-tier cake on one smaller than the bottom tier and arranged flowers around it just like your picture! I would be nervous using a pillar/plate system. I think a dummy is the easiest and most effective way to go!

Dani1081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dani1081 Posted 18 Oct 2012 , 2:28pm
post #6 of 8

I completely agree with Cambo - the styrofoam would definitely be the route I would take also.

sugarcakes65 Posted 18 Oct 2012 , 2:32pm
post #7 of 8

I'm so happy to hear that it worked for you, Cambo. Using the styrofoam dummy sounds like the way to go. Did you use a 1/2" or 1/4" cake drum under the bottom tier of the cake? Thanks, everyone, for your help!!

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 18 Oct 2012 , 10:14pm
post #8 of 8

Even a four tier cake will not overload the Wilton pillars and plates if that is what you use for the bottom gap.

But the pillars would be visible in between the flowers. So I would say to use two Wilton separator plates and a solid core of styrofoam. You can break the nubs off the plates without weakening them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%