My Post

Baking By TheCakerator Updated 17 Oct 2012 , 7:10pm by foodguy

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 17 Oct 2012 , 5:16pm
post #1 of 5

I posted a question on here the other day and now it looks like my post is gone.

I need buttermilk in a recipe but don't have any in the house .. I googled it online and it looks like I can add a tablespoon to a cup of reg milk and get buttermilk in about ten minutes, does anyone know if this is correct?

4 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 17 Oct 2012 , 5:23pm
post #2 of 5

A tablespoon of vinegar? Yes, that's a common substitution. It may not taste exactly like it did if you used buttermilk, but ever since I was a kid I read that it's a suitable substitution (vinegar or lemon juice).

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 17 Oct 2012 , 6:47pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you for the reply. I don't think I've ever had buttermilk before .. it's going into a pancake recipe .. pumpkin pancakes .. it says the milk should look curdled .. that kinda made me ... leery ..

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 17 Oct 2012 , 6:53pm
post #4 of 5

Ha! Yes, I think buttermilk is wretched to drink on its own. However, it's great for waffles, pancakes, cakes, etc.

Good luck!

foodguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foodguy Posted 17 Oct 2012 , 7:10pm
post #5 of 5

1 Tablespoon vinegar in a 1 cup measure. Fill the cup with milk. Let stand at room temperature about 30 minutes.

We do this all the time if we don't have Buttermilk in the house. My Mother taught me to do this years ago. It should look curdled before you use it.

It works great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%