Kezzie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kezzie Posted 12 Oct 2012 , 10:53am
post #1 of 31

Please help how can I stop my cakes doming in the middle

30 replies
southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 12 Oct 2012 , 11:14am
post #2 of 31

Do you use the strips on the sides of the pans? That seems to work for me.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 14 Oct 2012 , 11:01pm
post #3 of 31

Lower the oven temperature a little.

savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 14 Oct 2012 , 11:15pm
post #4 of 31

I also use Wilton baking strips. My cakes never dome. The one's I have need to be secured with straight pins, I have seen one's which close with velcro, I bet those are easier to work with.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 15 Oct 2012 , 1:34am
post #5 of 31

Velcro! Oh My Goodness! Do you think I can sew Velcro onto my Wilton bake even strips and not affect their effectiveness?

If I can, I will be ecstatic! Yes, even more exclamation points ecstatic! The light bulb is going off over here, folks. Velcro! No more shoving those pins into my fingers, bending pins, using multiple pins, etc.... Velcro!

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 15 Oct 2012 , 2:15am
post #6 of 31

LOL....I've been so desperate as to use paper clips to hold my baking strips together. And a friend of mine was driven to improvising strips by wrapping a strip of damp cotton cloth in tin foil and wrapping it around the cake pan. Boy, do we all love our baking stips!

MarianInFL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarianInFL Posted 15 Oct 2012 , 2:32am
post #7 of 31

I use paper clips, as I lost the pins right away. Wouldn't Velcro melt? Isn't one side plastic?

cheatize Posted 15 Oct 2012 , 3:11am
post #8 of 31

There's stick on Velcro, which has an adhesive on the back, and sew on Velcro, which I think it made of fabric. Perhaps the grippy side is plastic, though.

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 15 Oct 2012 , 9:34am
post #9 of 31

I make my own baking strips out of folded paper towel encased in alfoil - hold together with small bulldog clips

Tahe4ka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tahe4ka Posted 16 Oct 2012 , 2:30pm
post #10 of 31

I got cake dome every time I bake in the 6x3 inches pans and strips don`t help. I need any advise.

costumeczar Posted 16 Oct 2012 , 2:45pm
post #11 of 31

lowering the oven temp is a lot easier than wrestling with cake strips thumbs_up.gif

jawalk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jawalk Posted 16 Oct 2012 , 3:10pm
post #12 of 31

This works for me: Bake @ 325 degrees and when cake is done remove from oven and lay a dry dish cloth on top. Press gently all over top until the cake is level. Let rest a few minutes and then remove from cake pan onto cooling rack. Be careful it will be hot with steam while you are pressing.

Tahe4ka Posted 16 Oct 2012 , 3:11pm
post #13 of 31

I bake 350F. How low it should be? 325 or 300?

costumeczar Posted 16 Oct 2012 , 3:21pm
post #14 of 31

Depends ont he cake, but around 340 works for me. If I have a full oven I'll raise the temp if I'm opening the door a lot to take things in and out.

cheatize Posted 16 Oct 2012 , 6:47pm
post #15 of 31

I do lower my oven. I also use the rose nails. I still get more dome that I like. I've got the third of 5 cakes I'm baking today in the oven right now. The bake even strips help a lot and there's barely any dome.

Tahe4ka Posted 17 Oct 2012 , 4:31pm
post #16 of 31

Thank you for your help!! It works icon_smile.gif

venuscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
venuscakes Posted 20 Oct 2012 , 7:48pm
post #17 of 31

This may not be of any help as I am based in the UK and use marzipan underneath rolled fondant wheras it doesnt seem to be used in the US. If a cake domes excessively I turn it upside down so that the flat surface becomes the top and then roll a sausage of marzipan which I push around the bottom of the cake to fill the gap. This keeps the cake tier nice & deep and aviods trimming the cake down.
Amanda x

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 20 Oct 2012 , 8:36pm
post #18 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

lowering the oven temp is a lot easier than wrestling with cake strips thumbs_up.gif

I agree, the strips are a pain in the a$$ to me.

costumeczar Posted 20 Oct 2012 , 8:49pm
post #19 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by venuscakes

This may not be of any help as I am based in the UK and use marzipan underneath rolled fondant wheras it doesnt seem to be used in the US. If a cake domes excessively I turn it upside down so that the flat surface becomes the top and then roll a sausage of marzipan which I push around the bottom of the cake to fill the gap. This keeps the cake tier nice & deep and aviods trimming the cake down.
Amanda x

that's a good idea1

Sara1029 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sara1029 Posted 1 Nov 2012 , 8:04pm
post #20 of 31

I put my cake release in the pan then throw it in the freezer for 20-30 minutes prior.

Then take it out and put your batter in, then right into your oven. :)

cakesbyzuly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyzuly Posted 4 Nov 2012 , 8:28pm
post #21 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara1029 

I put my cake release in the pan then throw it in the freezer for 20-30 minutes prior.

Then take it out and put your batter in, then right into your oven. :)

Wao, this is the first time I read something like this?  What is that suppose to do?  If it helps I am going to try it.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Nov 2012 , 10:05pm
post #22 of 31

Just came across this post and haven't read all the replies.  Baking at a lower temp (300 to 325 F) is all that is necessary.

Use my *original* WASC recipe :)  All the information on proper baking in in that post.  Read ALL the replies on that.  [Sorry I can't link you to the recipe since the new format :( ]

Nonni53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nonni53 Posted 5 Nov 2012 , 7:30pm
post #23 of 31

AI don't use bake strips, tried them not thrilled. But I do collar my pans with parchment which also results in a more even rise and worry free removal (parchment bottom and sides). Also press cakes immediately after removal from oven and bake at 325 (300 with the convection on). Basically love parchment and love the fact that my cakes do not have that flour shortening goo marring the outside. Get whole sheet size then just sit and cut all my circles and collars at once.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Nov 2012 , 4:45am
post #24 of 31

One word.

Agbay.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 10 Nov 2012 , 3:03am
post #25 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by remnant3333 

One word.

Agbay.

Could you please explain what the above means? I am trying to learn more about cakes and I don't understand what you are saying to me.

Thank you

It is a brand of cake-leveler: http://www.agbayproducts.com/  very highly recommended. However, they are a bit expensive, so it depends on how many cakes you make. I don't have one because I only bake for family and friends. I use wet newspapers wrapped in aluminum foil and held tight with binder clips (no pins, paperclips, velcro): Not messy.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 10 Nov 2012 , 7:23am
post #26 of 31

I haven't heard of it, but I'm starting a new thread to see if anyone else here has.

I bake the cakes, with my newspaper/foil strips at the usually stated temps (e.g., 350).

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 10 Nov 2012 , 10:40am
post #27 of 31

I'm thinking my alfoil 'tent' does exactly the same thing... 

Rosiepan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosiepan Posted 10 Nov 2012 , 1:16pm
post #28 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by remnant3333 

anyone ever try the below attached? I am just wondering if this works or is this some kind of thing people buy and then whey they try it, it does not work.  It is a cake cover made in all different sizes that you put on top of the cake while baking. Please let me know if anyone has one of these and how you like it. Thanks/Mary

http://www.cakemarvel.com/

I use baking foil that I fold into thirds and place on top of my lined tins with homemade baking strips on a lower shelf. Works for me.

( I do this as my tins are not the best quality ones being a hobbyist I can't afford to invest in them.)

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 10 Nov 2012 , 5:53pm
post #29 of 31

Don't overmix. Bake at 325. Use a baking cone in the center of large cakes. If you don't have a commercial Deluxe oven baking strips are probably a good idea. Yes, you can sew velcro to them. Gotta agree with Leah: agbay

Sara1029 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sara1029 Posted 12 Nov 2012 , 9:36pm
post #30 of 31

By putting the pan in the freezer prior, it keeps the pan from getting too hot, too quick and prevents the cake from baking from the outside in.

Since i started doing this, I have not had a cake dome. Maybe a little bit but not like it did.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%