I Need Some Reassurance

Decorating By staceyboots Updated 5 Oct 2012 , 10:13pm by Goreti

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 5 Oct 2012 , 4:39pm
post #1 of 5

Hello

I made a 2-tier birthday cake (covered with buttercream) and decorated it with fondant music notes, roses and leaves last Sunday.

The only thing is that the cake is for THIS Sunday so I made the cake one week ahead of time! icon_cry.gif

I took a chance and decided to freeze the cake with all of its decorations by wrapping it in cling wrap first and then covering it with foil.

I think that I will take it out of the freezer tomorrow morning and place it in the fridge to thaw (probably let it stay there until Sunday morning) and then take it out of the fridge and place it in an air-conditioned room.

Can someone re-assure me and let me know that the decorations will be alright? I'm really biting my nails on this one.

Also, when I take the cake out of the fridge, what should I do?

Do I take the wrapping off right away?

Do I leave the cake wrapped and allow the condensation to settle on the outside first?

How do I protect the fondant decorations from becoming a disastrous situation?

Really looking forward to your input!

Stacey

4 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 5 Oct 2012 , 6:17pm
post #2 of 5

Thawing-wise you have the right plan. Depending on your humidity, you can probable take the wrapping off once you pull it out of the fridge. My main concern isn't the temperature but the saran wrap touching a decorated buttercream cake and some of the decorations may be damaged by that. You may want to plan for some touch up time there, but all-in-all your cake should be fine.

For the future, when I have to freeze a cake I put it in a box then wrap that like you did so that nothing is actually touching the cake.

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 5 Oct 2012 , 6:24pm
post #3 of 5

Hi KoryAK

Thanks for responding!

In terms of the humidity, I live in the Caribbean and the days have been pretty hot so I am not sure what the impact would be on my cake. I guess that placing the cake in an air-conditioned room would help though.

I really wanted to store the cake in a box but it was already stacked and I didn't have a box that was large enough.

My main concern is the fondant decorations and your input suggests that I would be fine so I am a lot more relieved.

Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Oct 2012 , 9:59pm
post #4 of 5

Since you live in a very humid area, I suggest you remove th e cake from the frig at least a couple of hours before needing/pick up. Leave it wrapped for about an hour, then remove the wrapping. If you can put it in a cake box as soon as you unwrap it. That should cut down/eliminate any problems.

Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 5 Oct 2012 , 10:13pm
post #5 of 5

Here is the link to a forum about freezing a fondant covered cake. http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-732338.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%