andrew1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andrew1961 Posted 1 Oct 2012 , 12:27pm
post #1 of 14

how would i go about making a articulated lorry cake

13 replies
lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 1 Oct 2012 , 12:42pm
post #2 of 14

Do you want it to move? Or just look like it is standing on its wheels?

andrew1961 Posted 1 Oct 2012 , 12:50pm
post #3 of 14

just a unmoving articulated lorry....thanks

lilmissbakesalot Posted 1 Oct 2012 , 1:15pm
post #4 of 14

You'll have to build a base if you want to be able to see underneath it... so it really looks like it is only supported by the wheels. The supports will be hidden in or right behind the wheels. I use 1/2" plywood for the cake base board and 1/4" plywood for the base that will hold the cake up off of the base board. You hide the dowels (I like to use 3/8") in or directly behind the wheels.

andrew1961 Posted 2 Oct 2012 , 8:57am
post #5 of 14

many thanks for your informative reply......would there be any photos of lorrys you yourself have made to give me a general idea how this might look? many thanks once again for your time

lilmissbakesalot Posted 2 Oct 2012 , 12:36pm
post #6 of 14

I have a picture of an old one. It was back when I was just starting out so it's a little less than perfect.
LL

andrew1961 Posted 3 Oct 2012 , 10:35am
post #7 of 14

thats fantastic.....how did you go about doing it,....size of sponge length etc......many thanks

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 3 Oct 2012 , 4:59pm
post #8 of 14

I wonder how many forum members on my side of the Atlantic had no idea what a lorry was (I knew, but it's not exactly a common word in U.S. usage.) icon_biggrin.gif

andrew1961 Posted 4 Oct 2012 , 12:35pm
post #9 of 14

Im very sorry about that.....i live in England and thats what we call lorries.....i suppose in the USA you call them trucks?

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 4 Oct 2012 , 1:31pm
post #10 of 14

Nothing to be apologize for; I'm sure that like Fountain Pen Network and the PIPORG-L list server, this board has people all over the world, who might be just as puzzled by such Americanisms for this type of truck/lorry as "tractor-trailer rig," "big rig," "semi," or the ever-popular "18-wheeler" (a 6-axle tractor with a 4-axle semitrailer, with dual wheels on all but the frontmost axle).

andrew1961 Posted 5 Oct 2012 , 9:26am
post #11 of 14

many thanks for all that!! Do you actually have any tips on doing the said cake?

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 5 Oct 2012 , 12:04pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbquikcomjamesl

I wonder how many forum members on my side of the Atlantic had no idea what a lorry was (I knew, but it's not exactly a common word in U.S. usage.) icon_biggrin.gif

LOL...I thought she meant to type "sorry"...
Figured she'd had words with another member and was starting a thread to apologize!

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 5 Oct 2012 , 7:04pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbquikcomjamesl

LOL...I thought she meant to type "sorry"...
Figured she'd had words with another member and was starting a thread to apologize!

Yup - that's why I stopped in here, too. Thanks for the explanation!

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 5 Oct 2012 , 8:49pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew1961

many thanks for all that!! Do you actually have any tips on doing the said cake?

None, I'm afraid; my cakes are generally either 9x13 sheet cakes, served in-pan, or pound cakes baked in a Bundt mold. Haven't tried cake sculpting, myself.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%