State Fair Idea Please :-)

Decorating By lilyankee5688 Updated 12 Oct 2012 , 5:20am by icer101

lilyankee5688 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilyankee5688 Posted 29 Sep 2012 , 2:11am
post #1 of 6

Ok so I entered in the state fair cake decorating contest. The cake I wanted to do reminds me of a wedding cake, not specialty cake. I am having a hard time coming up with a good specialty cake.... any ideas??? Should I do a kids theme bday cake...or a holiday theme.... I just dont know what the judges look for, as its my first time entering a cake...

5 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 29 Sep 2012 , 2:38am
post #2 of 6

Hi, i have won blue ribbons and best of show on wedding cakes, and on a cake resemebling a garden , with man on tractor and lady gathering potatoes, etc. They are in my pics. The wedding cakes were tropical both times. They could tell i spent hours working on these cakes. That is what you have to do. Think big, like no one else would do this type of cake, etc. that is how i think each time. A woman in her kitchen , making cakes, being tired etc. I had one of the crew on ace of cakes and won blue ribbon and best of show. Not bragging, Just giving you some clues. I look each year at end of fair and see how cakes are judged. good luck.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 29 Sep 2012 , 3:00am
post #3 of 6

Is there a theme? Even if the cake contest doesn't have a theme, it's fun to incorporate the fair theme into your cake. Are you able to look at past winners? That will tell you a bit about what the judges like and don't like.

lilyankee5688 Posted 30 Sep 2012 , 3:28am
post #4 of 6

Icer your cakes are beautiful!! There is no theme, just " tiered specialty cake". I think I am going to do a Breast Cancer theme cake, since it is in October, and that's the month for the awareness. I am so nervous at this, always so nervous at something new.. ha ha I'll post pics! icon_smile.gif

lilyankee5688 Posted 11 Oct 2012 , 5:27pm
post #5 of 6

Just to update yall since yall helped me out! I tied for 1st place on my cake! I did 3 rows of hot pink ruffles, with a black belt and white flowers on the base tier, then black quilted pattern on the top tier, then whit flowers on top. Was not what I planned on doing, but had to change designs at the last minute, 12 hours til I had to turn it in!!! I will load pics once I get a good one. I took one at 1 AM, but my hand was covered in crisco, and got on my camera lens, so its blurry (I wasnt thinking.. haha)

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 12 Oct 2012 , 5:20am
post #6 of 6

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Can,t wait to see pics. And thank you for the nice compliment about my cakes. Our state fair is going on right now. I could not enter last year(broken arm and then hand surgery) This year , been in pain with my back and legs. But think i am getting past that now. Thinking up some ideas for next year. It is fun to enter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%