Cake Coving Issues (And A Few Other Things :))

Decorating By Kylia Updated 27 Sep 2012 , 2:08pm by Diana81

Kylia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kylia Posted 27 Sep 2012 , 11:25am
post #1 of 2

Dear all

Hello I'm new to the forum icon_smile.gif and I'm new to cake covering. My main issues are that no matter what I do everytime I cover a cake the fondant tears and rips all over the place icon_sad.gificon_sad.gif

I'm not sure exactly what I'm doing wrong but I must be doing something wrong, so would really appreciate it if someone could tell me the right way to do it and hopefully I will start getting a more professional finish icon_smile.gif

Also if you are covering a cake that's been first covered with buttercream would you put two layers of icing on? I had a few issues with the layer of fondant looking a bit shiney and wondered if a thin layer followed by a thicker layer would prevent this and help the top layer of icing sit better and not tear/move etc..?

I would also love some advice on pricing cakes for potential customers, I am hoping once I iron out all my issues I can start advertising for work etc.. How do you go about pricing cakes and not short changing yourself?

Kindest Regards

Kylia

1 reply
Diana81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Diana81 Posted 27 Sep 2012 , 2:08pm
post #2 of 2

Hi! I used to have this problem and still do sometimes. Here are some steps that might help:
- let your cake cool off, then put a thin layer of buttercream over the entire cake, then put it in the freezer for 30 mins- 60 mins. Repeat these steps two more times, until the buttercream looks smooth on your cake. ( there s a tutorial here on how to cover your cake smoothly w buttercream).
- when u take your cake out of the freezer for the third time, take your fondant ( already kneaded while it was on the fridge for the third time and kept in an air tight container to keep the dough from drying), knead it a little more, roll it about 1/8 inches thick, roll it around your rolling pin carefully and unravel it on your cake.
- rub the fondant on the cake gently to eliminate any bubbles that could set underneath, then cut it around the edges. ( they have tutorials for that too).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%