Wilton Baking Strips..... Silly Question

Decorating By justpracticecakes Updated 22 Sep 2012 , 8:05pm by cakemaker2

justpracticecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justpracticecakes Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 12:53am
post #1 of 10

I always use wilton baking strips on my small cakes. I was making an eleven by fifteen sheet tonight.i wraped the pan with the dampened strips and they slide right off. I tighted the pins and tried to press them against the pan and when i got to the oven they slid off again. Baked it with out them and lowered the temp to 300. Cake baked uneven. Ofcourse.after i level it ,it will be an inch high.gonna bake.a.second layer tomorrow.the order is for a sheet cake......how the heck do you get the strips to stay on a large pan?????????

9 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 12:58am
post #2 of 10

Get the pack of four strips. They are a LOT longer and two of them will fit the 11x15. I overlap the ends some, and they don't fall off for me. But they sure do the job of keeping the humps away.

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 1:45am
post #3 of 10

Does your pan have sloped sides? if so, it is much harder to get the strips to stay on.

justpracticecakes Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 1:51am
post #4 of 10

Yes they are kinda sloped. Very frustrated. I guess my cake will just have to be. Two layer sheet. And its a buttercream order. I hate buttercream.i can never get it to look smooth. icon_redface.gif

rdjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rdjr Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 2:08am
post #5 of 10

I use black binder clips! they work GREAT!!

kimbm04r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbm04r Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 2:20am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjr

I use black binder clips! they work GREAT!!

I bought me a pack of stainless-looking mini binder clips. I love them.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 2:29am
post #7 of 10

I think before bake strips were invented older bakers used towel strips, dampened and pinned onto the sides of the pan with straight pins.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 2:46am
post #8 of 10

justpracticecakes~~Nearly all of the cakes in your photo gallery are round. Usually the round pans you purchase from Wilton have sides that are straight up like this: l_l
(An exception is the Wilton 2 pan set of 9x2" round pans. Those pans "nest" which means that have angled, NOT straight sides.)

Nearly ALL square of rectangle pans purchased in a store have angled sides like this: \\_/

You have to purchase more expensive, specialty pans from Magic Line or Fat Daddio's from a specialty cake store or online to get straight sides.

Here is a tutorial with photos of a round pan being used with Wilton metal flower nails and Bake Even strips.
http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=8&threadid=148262&FTVAR_MSGDBTABLE=

Use those same techniques on rectangle or square pans.

justpracticecakes Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 8:07pm
post #9 of 10

Thank all of you so much .after buying the clips. Reading everything im rebaking.i hope this works.i cliped the strips right on. They did stay on this time.

cakemaker2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemaker2 Posted 22 Sep 2012 , 8:05pm
post #10 of 10

rdjr: Thanks for the tip about the clips, I have lots of those! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%