Desperate Need Of Advise Asap!!!

Business By Annso Updated 21 Sep 2012 , 9:53pm by Annso

Annso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annso Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 12:51am
post #1 of 10

I received this message on facebook about an hour ago, and I am very excited!!

Hello, I am getting married in Antigua June 8, 2013. I am looking for a bakery to get my wedding cake. Could you send me a few pictures of some of your wedding cakes that feed up to 50 people and is two layer, round, white cake, white icing, I am thinking a shell topper? How much do you charge for these cakes and do you deliver or where are you located on the island so we can pick up the cake.

Respectfully,

Tara

[email protected]

Before anyone gets all concerned, I am in good standing where the food safety laws of my Island.

The Problem is I have never done a wedding cake before, so I don't have any pictures to show, I have done stacked cakes before, the ones on my CC profile and I have been using some of my time out (pregnancy) to improve my skills. I know that I can do this cake and It would be a great opportunity to break into the wedding market, But I just don't know how to respond. PLEASE HELP!!

9 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 12:59am
post #2 of 10

this may well be SPAM

Darstus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darstus Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 1:24am
post #3 of 10

It sounds just likes scams that have been pulled on decorators before. Be very careful!

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 2:02am
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annso

I received this message on facebook about an hour ago, and I am very excited!!

Hello, I am getting married in Antigua June 8, 2013. I am looking for a bakery to get my wedding cake. Could you send me a few pictures of some of your wedding cakes that feed up to 50 people and is two layer, round, white cake, white icing, I am thinking a shell topper? How much do you charge for these cakes and do you deliver or where are you located on the island so we can pick up the cake.

Respectfully,

Tara

Before anyone gets all concerned, I am in good standing where the food safety laws of my Island.

The Problem is I have never done a wedding cake before, so I don't have any pictures to show, I have done stacked cakes before, the ones on my CC profile and I have been using some of my time out (pregnancy) to improve my skills. I know that I can do this cake and It would be a great opportunity to break into the wedding market, But I just don't know how to respond. PLEASE HELP!!

First, please edit your original post to remove your potential client's email address.

This does not sound like spam. Just email her back and tell her that all your photos are in your gallery, and you are very familiar with the construction of tiered cakes. Then tell her if you are available (I assume you are) and tell her you would love to design a beautiful cake with her theme, and ask her what flavors she had in mind. Answer her questions regarding price and delivery, easy peasy. icon_smile.gif

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 2:54am
post #5 of 10

Why do people think it's a scam? Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

SweetSouthernBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSouthernBakery Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 3:14am
post #6 of 10

I've gotten several requests like this before and they have turned out to be legit. I would do as Kelleym suggests and email her back. Hope everything works out for you.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 6:01am
post #7 of 10

Sounds legit to me. I had never made a wedding cake when I made my first one. My customers insisted because they enjoyed the taste of my cakes and I explained where I felt safe with the decorating. I still do this.

As long as you are honest with your abilities and that satisfies the customer, you are fine. I can't do elaborate cakes and I never tell a customer I can do something that may be higher than my level of experience. I still get my fair share of orders.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 6:06pm
post #8 of 10

That sounds legitimate. A scammer would ask for a much larger cake, for one thing.

MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 6:38pm
post #9 of 10

Sounds legit to me and if she has all money up front, no post dated cheques then I don't see the problem.

Definitely get all payments up front prior to starting the cake. If you choose to take a cheque make sure it goes through the bank without bouncing before you start the cake.

Take a chance. Answer her questions but all money up front in full within 30 days prior to the big day. Then you have nothing to lose.

Also have her sign a contract about the cake details and payment details.

Good Luck

Annso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annso Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 9:53pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks so much for the response and advise. I'll try to keep u guys updated as to how it went.

How do you edit your original post? I would really love to remove the email address, It was a mistake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%