Caramel Cake Recipe

Baking By cakes4dummies Updated 18 Feb 2016 , 12:51pm by Sal2012

cakes4dummies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes4dummies Posted 17 Sep 2012 , 12:09pm
post #1 of 10

Does anyone have a good caramel cake recipe starting with a box of white cake mix? Usually I would use the Original WASC recipe with a caramel cake mix and caramel extract, but the caramel cake mix is not currently available in my area. I have a request for a full sheet cake so I want something that will not fall apart. Any suggestions on how to make this recipe work? new recipes?

The *Original* WASC cake recipe
Ingredients
1 box cake mix (I prefer Betty Crocker) *see notes at end
1 cup flour*
1 cup granulated sugar
generous dash of salt
1 cup sour cream*
1 cup water *
3 whole eggs
Coupons
1 tablespoon flavoring*

Read more at http://cakecentral.com/recipe/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe#PObVoRfGIvBxew4c.99 icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

9 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 17 Sep 2012 , 4:20pm
post #2 of 10

You want to look for a recipe using caramel ice cream topping. There may be a caramel version in the "gourmet cake flavours" thread on CC.

Or else you could do a test using 1-1/2 cups caramel ice cream sauce and 1/2 cup water to replace both the water and sugar in the WASC recipe. A little caramel flavour will help too (see what you can find from LorAnn).

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 17 Sep 2012 , 11:23pm
post #3 of 10

I make caramel cake by starting with my regular white cake recipe and replacing the white sugar with brown sugar and 1/2 the liquid with caramel sauce. This works with scratch or packaged cake mix. It's really (really, really icon_biggrin.gif ) good.

So, in the recipe you posted, I'd recommend replacing the 1 cup of granulated sugar with brown sugar and the 1 cup of water with 1/2 cup caramel sacuse and 1/ cup of water.

cakes4dummies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes4dummies Posted 3 Oct 2012 , 8:43pm
post #4 of 10

I used the brown sugar and caramel sauce and it turned out great! I also added some of the Duncan Hines frosting creations caramel flavor packet. Next time I think I might also add caramel extract. Thanks for the advice!

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 3 Oct 2012 , 8:58pm
post #5 of 10

Ummm...I forgot this at the time. Add some Skor bits instead of the caramel extract. They melt into the cake texture while baking, no ingredient adjustment required.

Sal2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sal2012 Posted 27 Jan 2016 , 12:39pm
post #6 of 10

Hi,  I am new to cake, so I am worry when I used every time a new recipe.   

Can I used choclate Betty Crocker box instead of white mix cake using the recipe above?  Please advise ASAP as I need to bake cake with few hours.  Thank you!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Jan 2016 , 5:32am
post #7 of 10

Quote by @Sal2012 on 16 hours ago               ............Can I used choclate Betty Crocker box instead of white mix cake using the recipe above?  Please advise ASAP as I need to bake cake with few hours.   

Ugggggg.  Can't get my reply to come out of the box :(   

So very sorry no one was able to reply to your ? sooner.  Yes you can use BC chocolate mix instead of white.  Maybe by now you already have.  Are you pleased with how it came out?  

Sal2012 Posted 18 Feb 2016 , 2:29am
post #8 of 10

It was  came out ok, but not very chocolaty . Instead of using one cup flour, can  I substitute with 1/2 cup cocoa and 1/2 cup flour?  I need to make another cake soon ( tomorrow).  Thank you!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Feb 2016 , 5:31am
post #9 of 10

Yes you may use 1/2 cocoa and 1/2 flour.

Sal2012 Posted 18 Feb 2016 , 12:51pm
post #10 of 10

Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%