Not Sure What Kind Of Filling To Use..

Baking By merchris Updated 12 Sep 2012 , 8:47pm by merchris

merchris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
merchris Posted 12 Sep 2012 , 1:47pm
post #1 of 3

Hi all,

I'm going to be making a Nemo themed bday cake for my son's 2nd bday and I have so many questions as to how make this work out. First off, I want to make the cakes ahead of time and freeze them but I want to put a filling in them and have no idea what would work if I assemble the cake a day ahead. I know I can't use cream frosting or filling, so I'm looking for good ideas. I was planning on making it several layers to create the whole reef look and making one part chocolate cake, and the other vanilla for variety. I would really appreciate any ideas you guys have. I was sort of hoping to do something a little different than a bunch of buttercream, but as long as it's tasty. I've made several cakes before, but not a big project like this one, so I really appreciate the input.

2 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 12 Sep 2012 , 2:22pm
post #2 of 3

If you are just making it a day ahead you don't need to freeze it. If you have a perishable filling then definitely keep it in the fridge. Even if you use fondant you can still refrigerate it. Just make sure that when you take it out of the fridge that you don't touch it so the condensation can evaporate.

For a filling, cookies and cream is always popular with kids. I just crush Oreos and add them to my regular buttercream. It's good with chocolate or vanilla cake.

merchris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
merchris Posted 12 Sep 2012 , 8:47pm
post #3 of 3

Oh, that does sound tasty. Thanks for the idea. i was actually thinking of making the cakes a week or two ahead of time, just so all I have to do the day before is assemble. That idea alone is another post for me!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%