Cinderella "magic Swirls"

Decorating By pjheun Updated 12 Sep 2012 , 11:44pm by Rose_N_Crantz

pjheun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjheun Posted 11 Sep 2012 , 8:06pm
post #1 of 6

I am making a Cinderella themed cake for my daughter's 3rd birthday. My plan is to make a large square cake covered with a gathered fondant skirt for the bottom tier, a pillow cake for the top tier and an isomalt glass slipper to put on the pillow. What I want to figure out is how to make the magical sparkling swirls that you see around Cinderella when her fairy godmother transforms her dress. I want them to be 3-D, I was thinking about using the spun sugar method somehow but not sure how that will work out. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. BTW, here is a link to a picture of what I am talking about. Thanks again. http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=cinderella&view=detail&id=6713BE664DAFD3E74229EB4746D3C7C8DC65A400&first=82

5 replies
cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 12 Sep 2012 , 12:48am
post #2 of 6

If it's just going to be "around" the cake and not stuck in it as well, why don't you use the wired tinsel with stars? I doubt that it's food-safe, but if it only touches the decorations you'd probably be ok.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 12 Sep 2012 , 1:32am
post #3 of 6

I wish I could find the picture, but can't so I'll describe as best I can. I saw a Barbie princess cake that had the Barbie with swirls around her and it was that metallic wired 'ribbon' with the small foil stars that you often see tied on gift bags. They had used a silver color and it looked really cute. It would fit what you're going for. And it's a lot easier than spun sugar! HTH! icon_biggrin.gif

pjheun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjheun Posted 12 Sep 2012 , 10:50pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks ladies. I may end up going that route. I was just hoping there was another way. Thank you for your responses. icon_smile.gif

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 12 Sep 2012 , 11:43pm
post #5 of 6

If you are comfortable working with isomalt, you could make thicker swirls that could surround Cinderella. What I'm thinking of would be a clear flat slide that swirled round. You could then more easily attach stars and some floss sugar and things to give the impression of sparkles.

You could support the swirl with some isomalt pieces and hide some of them behind mops and buckets and things like that.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 12 Sep 2012 , 11:44pm
post #6 of 6

I've never worked with SugarVeil before, but I suppose you could pipe strings of SugarVeil and let them dry. Then put some "embellished" wires at certain points around the cake, then drape the SugarVeil stings around on the wires. hopefully the wires wouldn't be too noticeable. I'm guessing lots of Disco Dust will also be needed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%