Wedding Cupcakes, Difficult Bride

Business By shellybeans2 Updated 5 Sep 2012 , 1:25pm by smallpond

shellybeans2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellybeans2 Posted 4 Sep 2012 , 11:46pm
post #1 of 10

I was asked to make cupcakes for a wedding, I have only done one other wedding and it was a cake. I'm not worried about the cupcakes and the amount of work, I think can handle it. What I am worried about is the bride and how she is slightly difficult to work with.

She asked me to make the cupcakes after her cake lady cancelled due to her having surgery. The wedding is October 6. She first asked me to make the cupcakes back in June or July, no problem, I can handle that. However, she has YET to give me what she wants. Yes, we have gone back and forth a little about what I can do, what colors, how many, etc. But she hasn't confirmed anything. I still don't know how many cupcakes, what flavor, what color, etc. She said she wants to wait until she gets the RSVPs in before she gives me a number.

I have a couple questions.
1. What is an appropriate amount of time before the wedding to require the bride to confirm all information? I like to plan what I'm doing and when and how much.
2. Am I being to lenient? I hate to be firm and say do 'this' or I can't make the cupcakes, because I probably can still make them and I want the business.

Any help is greatly appreciated. If you can answer my questions or share your experiences, I'll take it all!

9 replies
DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 4 Sep 2012 , 11:57pm
post #2 of 10

Yes, you are being too lenient. I require a signed cake contract & final payment 30 days before the event. Most facilities etc. require the same or even more.

I require them to sign my Policies & Procedures contract when they make the deposit to reserve the date. It also outlines that contract must be signed & final payment 30 days before event.

No, she won't have all the RSVPs. Too bad. Take a quess! At the very least, she should know the specifics of decor.

If you don't have a contract, now is the time to get one! Give her a call & in your best sweet voice tell her it's getting kind of close & you need to plan, purchase, etc. Tell her you really need her to make these decisions by Sep. 14th.

If you don't have a contract, tell her y'all can always downsize or add more but that you need a general idea of how many & what.

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 5 Sep 2012 , 12:26am
post #3 of 10

Most definately she is stringing you along. Maybe she's hoping her other cake lady will mend in time for her wedding. Who knows, but whatever, let her know you cannot keep that date open for her without a commitment such as a contract and/or deposit. Give her til the end of the week to decide and if she hesitates you have the option of moving on or raising the price.

I did that recently, It was for an established customer. She offered to buy the quinceanera cake for someone but didn't want to spend the money. She tried to wiggle me down to next to nothing. When I would not, I gave her a few days to think about it. By the time she came back, I raised the price. I told her I considered this a rush job and now needed more help to get the work done.

I don't know what gets into people's heads but I'm not sitting around waiting for them to make up their minds. I don't think anybody else would either.

azchic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azchic Posted 5 Sep 2012 , 12:35am
post #4 of 10

In general 10%-20% will not RSVP or RSVP no, it would be safe to add 10% to the total RSVP that the bride gets by the date she specified on her invitations. Which I am hoping is for the sake of her venue, cater etc is at least 30 days before the date she has reserved. You are not being to demanding by insisting she give you the details and amount of her order. I guarantee everyone else involved in her wedding already has. You can let her know that if she is worried about ordering to many cupcakes can be frozen and often guests will enjoy taking extra's home to enjoy latter or share with others. I understand the business but do you really want the stress of being given an order of 500 cupcakes 72 hours before a wedding?

heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 5 Sep 2012 , 2:18am
post #5 of 10

I also require a contract. 50% paid at signing, and remainder 50% payment in full 30 days prior to the event. For weddings that include cupcakes I tell them that if they will have to contract to a determined amount and pay for that. If it is found that they need more, up to two weeks prior to the event I will make an addendum to their contract for an increased quantity (by dozens) but will not reduce the originally contracted number.

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 5 Sep 2012 , 4:16am
post #6 of 10

I require a contract and a 50% deposit to book the date. The balance is due 3 weeks prior and the order is final at that point. If it comes up that another dozen or two cupcakes are needed, I could make that happen, but I won't downsize the order at that point.

She is stringing you on and dictating how you do your business. You say that you don't like to be firm, but with what other serious business do you not follow their rules. Costco doesn't put an item on hold for two weeks for me so that I can 'think' about it. They sell it when they have the chance.

It's okay to stand up for your business and your time.

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 5 Sep 2012 , 4:20am
post #7 of 10

Take control!

Stop letting her dictate how you run your business.

shellybeans2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellybeans2 Posted 5 Sep 2012 , 12:14pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks so much! That is all really great information. I told her I need to know by next Friday, so we will see what happens...

stephdover4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephdover4 Posted 5 Sep 2012 , 12:52pm
post #9 of 10

Good for you. I'm willing to bet she had the details worked out with the other baker... I agree that she is stringing you along.

I just had to put my foot down with a lady that kept changing the entire cake. It went from a VERY small cake to a pretty large one with a totally different theme. It's tough but I find that normally they conform to what I tell them I need.

smallpond Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smallpond Posted 5 Sep 2012 , 1:25pm
post #10 of 10

Give her a cupcake buffet with a load of weird and wonderful flavours. Let the guests chose their own.

Something like the one in this blog: http://www.squidoo.com/blueribbons

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%