Issues With Homemade Fondant

Decorating By aisrad Updated 9 Mar 2013 , 6:33pm by rookybaker

aisrad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aisrad Posted 28 Aug 2012 , 8:38pm
post #1 of 6

I know there are countless posts about homemade fondant, but I can't find the answer I'm looking for. When I make MMF I have a horrible problem with tiny air bubbles forming all over it when I'm rolling it out. I've tried adding more powdered sugar thinking maybe I was leaving it too moist, but I still have problems with them. I don't want to attempt making a cake without decorations covering it, because my fondant looks horrible on it's own. I'd appreciate any advice I can get. Thank you!

5 replies
cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 2:27am
post #2 of 6

Have you tried kneading it more?

aisrad Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 4:10pm
post #3 of 6

Well, when I make it I do knead it quite a bit. Maybe after it sits overnight and I go to use it again I need to knead it more.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 6:37pm
post #4 of 6

I had this same problem and it was killing me. Until I discovered that I was making it too soft and using it while it was still warm. Now I add more powdered sugar than I think I need ( a little at a time) , roll it out two or three times and ball it back up again - popping any air bubbles I find. And this gives the fondant a chance to cool off. After doing my final rollout I take a smoother and rub it all over the fondant before lifting and placing on my cake. Hopes this helps you out like it did me.

aisrad Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 11:58pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you, Denise. When you roll it out, are you adding powdered sugar to your surface? My fondant always sticks to my surface really bad, so I would worry that rolling it out that many times using powdered sugar every time would make it too dry. I think I'll try rolling it out at least once next time before placing it on my cake though and see how it goes.

rookybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rookybaker Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 6:33pm
post #6 of 6

How do you know if it is too soft?  I just made my first batch, not planning on using it until next week.I did not add the full 8 cups of sugar that it called for.  It seemed to make a nice fairly firm ball.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%