Here We Go Again...

Lounge By Lalady Updated 31 Aug 2012 , 7:34pm by Lalady

Lalady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lalady Posted 27 Aug 2012 , 8:42pm
post #1 of 14

"Riding" out Isaac here in New Orleans. This is the first time in a very long time that I have not evacuated. To be honest, I'm getting a little nervous.

To my fellow Gulf Coast cakers, stay safe.

Ellen

13 replies
Cakery2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakery2012 Posted 27 Aug 2012 , 9:07pm
post #2 of 14

Hugs{{{}}} And prayers sent your way !!
Im in the midwest but just hate to see this happening .

ibeeflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibeeflower Posted 28 Aug 2012 , 12:30am
post #3 of 14

I hope you and your family stay safe. Keep us updated!

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 28 Aug 2012 , 12:34am
post #4 of 14

We saw what was heading your way last night on our tv - to hear that it was going to be another Katrina made us gasp .
We are thinking of you all over there .... and wishing you safe

Bluehue

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 28 Aug 2012 , 2:25am
post #5 of 14

Wishing the best to you and yours!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 28 Aug 2012 , 2:36am
post #6 of 14

Hi, be safe, already been praying for everyone.

Lalady Posted 28 Aug 2012 , 3:28pm
post #7 of 14

So far doing ok. Isaac has not reached hurricane strength yet. Windy and light rain so far today. Thank God we are not dealing with another KATRINA.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Aug 2012 , 9:47pm
post #8 of 14

Praying God will keep you and all others in the path of this storm safe. Blessings icon_smile.gif

MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 28 Aug 2012 , 9:54pm
post #9 of 14

I keep watching it on my news updates. Fingers crossed and lots of prayers. I have friends down there too.

Take Care & Keep Safe

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 3:10am
post #10 of 14

The last update put it heading straight for us. It went back over water and moved more west. At least it is still cat. 1.

By the way, people don't realize that because of the two hurricanes that hit New Orleans, Entergy is still charging those of us in other cities in Louisiana, for the damage that took place in New Orleans. I doubt if they will ever stop charging us to repair New Orleans. I wish the government would stop them. Now stepping off my soap box.

moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 4:14pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dldbrou

The last update put it heading straight for us. It went back over water and moved more west. At least it is still cat. 1.

By the way, people don't realize that because of the two hurricanes that hit New Orleans, Entergy is still charging those of us in other cities in Louisiana, for the damage that took place in New Orleans. I doubt if they will ever stop charging us to repair New Orleans. I wish the government would stop them. Now stepping off my soap box.

Dldbrou,

I dont think it is fair to single out New Orleans as the cause of the extra charge on your Entergy bill. During Katrina ALL of St Bernard Parish was devastated (my house had 8 feet of water), and a good portion of Plaquemines Parish and Eastern St Tammany Parish were also completely flooded and the electric grid damaged. In Mississippi Waveland, Bay St Louis, and coastal Gulfport and Biloxi were wiped off the map. The restoration charge is for the entire region not just New Orleans.

As for Hurricane Rita, Southwestern Louisiana and Southeast Texas were impacted more than New Orleans. Cameron Parish was in fact hit the hardest.

I live in Slidell, LA now and my electricity provider is Cleco. Cleco doesnt provide any service to New Orleans but on my monthly bill Im also assessed a monthly Storm Restoration Charge. The charge is $3.86 but I also get a Storm Tax Credit or $1.46. So the actual monthly restoration charge is $2.40, or approximately $29 a year.

And it is not even fair to say that seven years later the charge is still in place to pay for Katrina and Rita. How much damage did Gustav and Ike cause in 2008? And now Isaac in 2012? I imagine that the restoration charge is paying for damage caused by all the storms to all parts of the state and not just the electric grid damage inflicted on New Orleans during Katrina and Rita.

Just 2 cents from an opposing view.

Carol

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 6:03pm
post #12 of 14

I can state for a fact according to my bill, it list the charges for each storm and the city we are being charged. It is about $15 each month. 2005 and 2008 are the years being charged. Entergy has been fined for charging just Louisiana and not Ga. at one point.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 30 Aug 2012 , 9:01pm
post #13 of 14

Any update on how you have fared?? I hear the flooding is massive and more a poroblem than than anything.

Lalady Posted 31 Aug 2012 , 7:34pm
post #14 of 14

Hello everyone!

First off, I will NEVER again "ride" out a storm. We lost power Tuesday abt 6pm & we are still without power.

All of my family & friends are doing ok, no major damage to our homes. Thank God!

There is major flooding again in areas outside the levy protection system. When you look at Louisiana, the land that is sticking out in the gulf is where a lot of the flooding is taking place. Also, just west of there the storm surge went north up into Barataria Bay. The town of Jean Lafitte is the closest to where I live and is flooded. The areas north of Lake Pontchatrain has also flooded.

It's all so very complicated to explain in great detail how the tidal surge and wind directions effect the lakes & bayous here. Even the hurricane making landfall just a few miles more east or west effects who may or may not exprience not only flooding, but wind damage and possible tornados.

I guess it does not matter where you live on the great plant of ours, we all face the possibility of some type of natural disaster.

I know that people always ask why we rebuild. All I can say is that if you've never been to New Orleans or Southeast Louisiana, you will never understand the charm and draw of the city and it's people. There maybe more naturally beautiful places in the country, but the heart of soul of this area will never be matched anywhere else.

Thanks for your continued thoughts & prayers!

Ellen

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%