Chocolate Ganache Questions

Baking By atudor4 Updated 20 Aug 2012 , 1:20am by bakechef

atudor4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
atudor4 Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 1:59am
post #1 of 12

Ok I've tried to make ganache a few times. Once with milk choc, once with white & lastly with semi sweet choc. Milk choc was too runny to use as filling. White choc didn't melt properly. Semi sweet was so over powering that's the only flavor you got from a bite of cake with it as a icing.
So my question is, what brand does everyone use? I used Nestlé choc chips. I'm thinking that was no good lol
Also, if used as a filling, is it a 50-50 choc-cream ratio? Seems soupy?
Is ganache always so strong of a flavor? I put it on a banana cake filled with caramel & you couldn't taste the cake or filling icon_sad.gif
As always, I appreciate the feed back,
Atudor4

11 replies
bakechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakechef Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 2:14am
post #2 of 12

I've used Nestle chips, store brand as well as good chocolate, and never had issues making ganache. I adjust the cream/chocolate ratio depending on the use.

Ganache made with dark chocolate or semi sweet will have an intense chocolate flavor. When I'm making a whipped ganache for a filling I usually use milk chocolate because I think that the semi sweet or dark, just isn't sweet enough. I enrobe cakes with dark chocolate ganache. My whipped ganache is 24 oz chocolate to 16 oz of heavy cream. It will be thin when hot, but as it cools it gets quite a bit thicker, when completely cooled (even slightly chilled) it is spreadable.

You may just need to work on your ratios to find what works for you. If I want my ganache thicker, I add more chocolate and zap it for 20-30 seconds more if needed.

atudor4 Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 2:29am
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef

I've used Nestle chips, store brand as well as good chocolate, and never had issues making ganache. I adjust the cream/chocolate ratio depending on the use.

Ganache made with dark chocolate or semi sweet will have an intense chocolate flavor. When I'm making a whipped ganache for a filling I usually use milk chocolate because I think that the semi sweet or dark, just isn't sweet enough. I enrobe cakes with dark chocolate ganache. My whipped ganache is 24 oz chocolate to 16 oz of heavy cream. It will be thin when hot, but as it cools it gets quite a bit thicker, when completely cooled (even slightly chilled) it is spreadable.

You may just need to work on your ratios to find what works for you. If I want my ganache thicker, I add more chocolate and zap it for 20-30 seconds more if needed.

The white chocolate I used was from Aldi's which is a discount food store icon_redface.gif Didnt work out so well.
So whipped ganache is just like it sounds? after its all heated together, you put it in the mixer with a whisk and whip it?

gatorcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gatorcake Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 3:53am
post #4 of 12

If you do a search for how to make chocolate ganache on Youtube you will find a set of videos that will address many of your questions. The videos are by InspiredbyMichelle.

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 7:11am
post #5 of 12

I never use melts or chips or in particular cooking chocolate for my ganache, I always use a nice tasting eating chocolate.
If you are finding that it is too strong tasting maybe you are using too much , you use much less than you would of buttercream , I actually use a rather thin layer with my cakes so don't find it overwhelming.

As for being soupy , are you leaving it long enough to set up. I usually leave mine overnight at least . otherwise just add a little extra chocolate to the mix.

I hope some of my suggestion may be of help.

atudor4 Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 1:30pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorcake

If you do a search for how to make chocolate ganache on Youtube you will find a set of videos that will address many of your questions. The videos are by InspiredbyMichelle.

I just watched her video. I think I know where I went wrong! Thanks so much!

atudor4 Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 1:32pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellescakes

I never use melts or chips or in particular cooking chocolate for my ganache, I always use a nice tasting eating chocolate.
If you are finding that it is too strong tasting maybe you are using too much , you use much less than you would of buttercream , I actually use a rather thin layer with my cakes so don't find it overwhelming.

As for being soupy , are you leaving it long enough to set up. I usually leave mine overnight at least . otherwise just add a little extra chocolate to the mix.

I hope some of my suggestion may be of help.

Yes you've helped me out a ton! Than you. Next time I will use choc that I'd actually eat.

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 2:38pm
post #8 of 12

Great I am glad I was helpful, chocolate is a little like cooking with wine , if you wouldn't drink it don't cook with it.

bakechef Posted 19 Aug 2012 , 4:38pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by atudor4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef

The white chocolate I used was from Aldi's which is a discount food store icon_redface.gif Didnt work out so well.
So whipped ganache is just like it sounds? after its all heated together, you put it in the mixer with a whisk and whip it?

[quote]

What you used isn't actually white chocolate, it was "white baking chips". most white chips aren't white chocolate, even Nestle and Ghiradelli, they won't always melt down like real white chocolate. Look for the package to say "white chocolate" specifically, and the ingredients should list cocoa butter.

Hope this helps. Aldi may have some of the real deal in their candy section in bar form, especially getting close to the holidays, they actually have some very good imported chocolate, believe it or not. Aldi semi sweet chocolate chips are good and real chocolate. Go to the link in my Sig, I did a recent post on whipped ganache.

gbbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gbbaker Posted 19 Aug 2012 , 5:28pm
post #10 of 12

Merckens Monopol.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 19 Aug 2012 , 10:21pm
post #11 of 12

As bakechef stated, Aldi usually does have white chocolate bars in the imported candy section around holiday times. Sometimes I even find it in the section usually found in the front by the entrance. Whenever I find it, I usually stock up. It does make good ganache. It certainly is not the same as the white baking chips found in the baking section.

As for the dark chocolate, I stock up with the large bags of Ghiradelli bittersweet chips and Nestle Semi Sweet chips from Sams Club. I blend them together and store them in large plastic containers. Loving chocolate, I don't find it too intense and I've never had anyone complain.
And as bakechef wrote, adjust the chocolate to cream ratio when using white or dark chocolate.

It has been years since I've used BC under fondant. Ganache is a delicious life-saver for me.

Jan

bakechef Posted 20 Aug 2012 , 1:20am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmaid42

As bakechef stated, Aldi usually does have white chocolate bars in the imported candy section around holiday times. Sometimes I even find it in the section usually found in the front by the entrance. Whenever I find it, I usually stock up. It does make good ganache. It certainly is not the same as the white baking chips found in the baking section.

As for the dark chocolate, I stock up with the large bags of Ghiradelli bittersweet chips and Nestle Semi Sweet chips from Sams Club. I blend them together and store them in large plastic containers. Loving chocolate, I don't find it too intense and I've never had anyone complain.
And as bakechef wrote, adjust the chocolate to cream ratio when using white or dark chocolate.

It has been years since I've used BC under fondant. Ganache is a delicious life-saver for me.

Jan

I love getting Nestle and Ghiradelli at the club stores (BJ's in my case), the prices bring the name brands down below most store brands!

I've gotten some great chocolate at Aldi in that section by the door!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%