Rkt Falling Off Structure....what Should I Do?

Decorating By cupcakesnbuttercream Updated 17 Aug 2012 , 12:51am by BlakesCakes

cupcakesnbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 16 Aug 2012 , 3:37pm
post #1 of 12

I'm attempting a 3D T-Rex sculpted cake for my son's birthday this weekend. The internal structure is PVC & wood.

When I went to make the 'belly'...or bottom section, the RKT just fell right off. Is it possible to shape the belly with the RKT? or should I use something else?

(btw, I covered the structure with melted marshmallow before applying the RKT)
LL

11 replies
DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 16 Aug 2012 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 12

Which recipe are you using? When making RKT for sculpting, I make the one on the box (-) the butter. Otherwise, it is too soft & won't hold.

Lynne3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynne3 Posted 16 Aug 2012 , 3:45pm
post #3 of 12

How large is the belly. I sent you a response to an earlier post you made about the same cake. RKT will NOT hold to create depth. It will give you a slight allowance to create the belly 'bump', but not the entire belly.
Can you post a pic of the structure you have so far? It may be a quick fix if people on the forum can see it.

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 16 Aug 2012 , 6:16pm
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousDesserts

Which recipe are you using? When making RKT for sculpting, I make the one on the box (-) the butter. Otherwise, it is too soft & won't hold.

I used 4 cups of cereal & 5 cups of mini marshmallows...no butter or anything, except Crisco to grease the bowl. I've covered the legs & had no problems, they are actually rock hard now that they've set.

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 16 Aug 2012 , 6:19pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne3

How large is the belly. I sent you a response to an earlier post you made about the same cake. RKT will NOT hold to create depth. It will give you a slight allowance to create the belly 'bump', but not the entire belly.
Can you post a pic of the structure you have so far? It may be a quick fix if people on the forum can see it.

The structure is retangular with a board on top of the PVC to hold the cake portion. This also makes it weird to form the belly. It's 6" wide & 10.5" long.

I'll try to put up a pic.

Lynne3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynne3 Posted 16 Aug 2012 , 7:43pm
post #6 of 12

I always take the path of least resistance. I would add a "belly support" to your frame. It can be done with a small rectangle of wood and 2 long bolts or screws.
I have attached a picture.

If you don't like that idea, then just get styrofoam, carve the belly, and epoxy it on to the frame.
LL

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 16 Aug 2012 , 8:12pm
post #7 of 12

I make "underbellies" with packed on modeling chocolate. Works fine for me.

Rae

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 16 Aug 2012 , 8:40pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne3

I always take the path of least resistance. I would add a "belly support" to your frame. It can be done with a small rectangle of wood and 2 long bolts or screws.
I have attached a picture.

If you don't like that idea, then just get styrofoam, carve the belly, and epoxy it on to the frame.

Thank you for the visual! A friend made the structure, so I don't have the tools to add the board. I guess I'll give the styrofoam a try.

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 16 Aug 2012 , 8:47pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

I make "underbellies" with packed on modeling chocolate. Works fine for me.

Rae

How do you make it stick? Are you building onto the frame little by little or are you molding the shape, then applying to the frame?

BlakesCakes Posted 16 Aug 2012 , 8:53pm
post #10 of 12

I add it on, bit by bit, directly to the frame. It won't work for something huge, but for the figure indicated, it should work fine.

Rae

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 17 Aug 2012 , 12:40am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

I add it on, bit by bit, directly to the frame. It won't work for something huge, but for the figure indicated, it should work fine.

Rae

Thank you!
Another question...if anyone who's reading can answer....I was going to make the candy clay, but discovered I'm out of corn syrup. Has anyone had success with something other than corn syrup?
I don't have liquid glucose(or even know where to find it). All I have is glycerin....not sure if that would work.

I did come across a recipe that supposedly makes the glucose syrup. It was equal parts superfine sugar & water. Would it work?

BlakesCakes Posted 17 Aug 2012 , 12:51am
post #12 of 12

Glycerin won't work.

I wouldn't try to make a syrup on my own. The water content has to be pretty exact to get the right results.

I'd run to the store and buy corn syrup.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%