Whipped Icing Like The Grocery Store Uses?

Baking By mom2johny3 Updated 20 Aug 2012 , 11:04pm by bakechef

mom2johny3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2johny3 Posted 15 Aug 2012 , 4:11am
post #1 of 11

We all like the whipped icing that they use at the grocery store bakery. I am looking for a recipe for a good whipped icing so I can make the cake at home.

I am making a cake that is 12x16, and I bought an edible image to put on top of it. So it needs to be strong and stable to hold the image good.

I have googled some recipes but there are soooo many i don't know which one to do. Any advice?

10 replies
vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 15 Aug 2012 , 6:56am
post #2 of 11

I think one type of whipped frosting that grocery stores use is called Bettercreme.

atudor4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
atudor4 Posted 16 Aug 2012 , 4:38pm
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2johny3

We all like the whipped icing that they use at the grocery store bakery. I am looking for a recipe for a good whipped icing so I can make the cake at home.

I am making a cake that is 12x16, and I bought an edible image to put on top of it. So it needs to be strong and stable to hold the image good.

I have googled some recipes but there are soooo many i don't know which one to do. Any advice?

I asked my pastry instructor at school this same question and she wrinkled up her nose and said "why would you want that stuff? theres inst anything natural in the stuff the grocery bakery uses. You cant even make it at home because its all artificial!!" lol
But she also said that Bettercreme is the same non-dairy whipping cream. I got some at Gordon's Food Service. $5.00 for a quart.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 16 Aug 2012 , 4:52pm
post #4 of 11

BetterCream from Sam's is super yummy! It's already prewhipped. The only way I would put an edible image on any whipped icing is by first putting the image on a thin piece of fondant and cutting the image around it and then let it sit and firm up.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Aug 2012 , 11:32pm
post #5 of 11

Besides Rich's Bettercreme (please note spelling) another product the same is "PastryPride". It usually is also available where Rich's Bettercreme is sold - like Gorden's Food Service.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 16 Aug 2012 , 11:37pm
post #6 of 11

There is also Frostin' Pride. I've tried it once and it was not terrible. icon_smile.gif

bakechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakechef Posted 17 Aug 2012 , 11:22pm
post #7 of 11

As someone else said, you won't be able to create this at home, there is nothing natural in it. I use this stuff at work and can see the ingredient label on the bucket (ours is the pre-whipped).

The closest in flavor is cool whip, which again doesn't have anything natural in it, but isn't stable like Bettercream.

You could always make stabilized whipped cream, but it would end up tasting like cream and not the stuff from the grocery store, it will look similar though!

If you hadn't guessed, I can't stand the smell or taste of the stuff, and try not to consume something as artificial as that if possible.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 6:30pm
post #8 of 11

..........also Frostin' Pride......

Yes! I just couldn't come up with the nameicon_smile.gif It is made to be used as an icing whereas Pastry Pride is more to be used as a filling. That's what the company told me yrs back.

Spooky_789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spooky_789 Posted 20 Aug 2012 , 9:23pm
post #9 of 11

This is one gal who does not like the whipped cream icings. Blech. But I'm not a fan of straight up Cool Whip either, and that's what those icings taste like to me. I don't mind CW used in recipes, where it is mixed up with other things like puddings or jello, etc., but you will not see a dollop of CW on my pie. I'd rather have it plain or with real whipping cream.

If you can't find one of the products mentioned in the previous posts, and need something in a pinch, try Wilton's Whipped Icing mix. It needs refrigeration still but I think it gives you the consistency you are looking for.

ibeeflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibeeflower Posted 20 Aug 2012 , 10:49pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky_789

This is one gal who does not like the whipped cream icings. Blech. But I'm not a fan of straight up Cool Whip either, and that's what those icings taste like to me. I don't mind CW used in recipes, where it is mixed up with other things like puddings or jello, etc., but you will not see a dollop of CW on my pie. I'd rather have it plain or with real whipping cream.

Same here! I make my own whipped cream and along with a pie, I take it as my contribution. Homemade whipped cream is so yummy.

bakechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakechef Posted 20 Aug 2012 , 11:04pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky_789

If you can't find one of the products mentioned in the previous posts, and need something in a pinch, try Wilton's Whipped Icing mix. It needs refrigeration still but I think it gives you the consistency you are looking for.

I couldn't imagine spending the time to make a homemade pie ( I even make my own crust) and then plop cool whip on it, when it takes maybe 2 minutes to whip some cream!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%